Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all the thicker stuff I've done on the car so far, I've been using 5/16" holes for my plug welds.

I started putting 5/16" holes around the 1/4, but they look real big for that thin metal, plus, most of the lips aren't that big which doesn't leave a lot of material between the edge of the plug weld hole and the edge of the metal.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use 1/4" on sheet metal like quarters and 5/16" on torque boxes, rockers and more structural stuff, lets you puddle slightly longer for better penetration.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moving forward, I think I'm going to use 1/4".

I did put some 5/16" holes in the panel already. In the window lip, I'm not too concerned, the two levels of steel underneath should sink a lot of heat, and once I grind, it will be all covered with the window seal.

The one area that does have me concerned is the front edge of the 1/4 where it wraps into the b pillar in the door jamb. I have a couple where, not only do I have the 5/16" hole, but I drilled them close to the edge.

I'm wondering what I can do here to try to make sure I don't melt away the little material of the 1/4 between the side of the hole and the edge? That edge of the 1/4 is visible when the car is painted, right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts