Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new wheel. Badly. I have a power column, so I don't need to worry about the slow speed stuff, I just need a smaller wheel.

Is there any consensus on diameter?

Im leaning towards 13.5-13.75". I drive this car on the street all the time, and AutoX and HPDE stuff occasionally, and hopefully more often once my son gets a bit older. Just need some direction.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
My buddy opt for a 13" on his '66- IMO it looked out of place, way too small. I also didn't care for how it felt while driving- again, too small. I've got stock size wheels on all mine, they work just fine.

·
Registered
10,645 Posts
I need a new wheel. Badly. I have a power column, so I don't need to worry about the slow speed stuff, I just need a smaller wheel.

Is there any consensus on diameter?

Im leaning towards 13.5-13.75". I drive this car on the street all the time, and AutoX and HPDE stuff occasionally, and hopefully more often once my son gets a bit older. Just need some direction.

Thanks
either of those sizes would be good for a car with power steering
I have manual steering and would like to try a 14" wheel ,currently using a 15"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
either of those sizes would be good for a car with power steering
I have manual steering and would like to try a 14" wheel ,currently using a 15"
I’m using a 15 right now and it is waaay too big, even when I turn the assist all the way down. I can’t wait to get rid of this giant wheel. Lol.

I’m currently looking at some sparco suede wheels. I would even be ok with a high end Grant. Trying to figure out what dish offset I want now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the one Im leaning towards right now..

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
The correct question is do you NEED a wheel smaller than 15"? 15" is stock size and looks right for the car. I personally went with 14" as a compromise. I am a tall guy and wanted more leg room...but 13" wheels look too small. I would have stayed with a stock diameter if a smaller wheel didnt help legroom(with 1.5" pan drop)

I chose this one...nothing like a woodgrain(or faux woodgrain) for feel

·
Registered
1968 Coupe, 302/T5
40 Posts
I have manual steering and a 13” wheel. It’s a nice wheel but I hate it and will be replacing it as soon as I can afford a new or used wheel. I’d much prefer stock 15” both for looks and usability.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im 6'4" and 280+lbs I need the leg room and I just hate the ginormous wheel. lol

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Some think too small of a wheel can sacrifice accuracy while autocrossing, I'm running a 14" with PS and quick arms and I'm OK with it. It doesn't look too small on the car to me.

·
Registered
1968 Coupe, 302/T5
40 Posts
Haha. Unfortunately after measuring and mocking up, 13.75” is the smallest I can go comfortably.
You got me wondering so I measured mine when I got home today because I was just going off memory before. It is actually 13.75”. Not trying to convince you, just correcting my original contribution to the thread. ??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You got me wondering so I measured mine when I got home today because I was just going off memory before. It is actually 13.75”. Not trying to convince you, just correcting my original contribution to the thread. ??
Do you have photos of your wheel?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I do have a 13.5 which I like very much. Its gives some good leg room, its quick for autocross but it was a little much for manual at 16:1 especially when I ran R compound tires. WIth EPAS its a dream. I like the look also. I think it has a lot to do with the wheel design. Some don't look right small, I like this one, wish it was in better shape.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the American Powertrain epas. I’m thinking it should be a good combo with a good 16:1 manual box and the quick steer kit with a 13.75 wheel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts