Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm torn between properly installed 4X6 quality Pioneer speakers with reproduction grills in my '66 coupe doors or going for the kick-panel speakers which I think are less than attractive. It's been suggested that the sound from the door location will be poor and I'll be butchering my doors...an opinion which I respect. Any similar experiences?

G

·
0 Posts
Well, if you're looking for the best sound quality, you can get it from the kick panels. However, the difference (at least to my ear in an old mustang) would be hardly noticeable. I prefer my speakers in the door and out of the way.

--Lightnin

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Kinda hard to un-butcher a pair of doors. OTOH, kick panels are cheap...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I dont listen to the radio when I drive my '65. As a matter of fact, it is disconnected. I like to listen to the sound of the engine at speed.

·
4,128 Posts
So which pic are you trying to post in your sig?

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/B6/47/11065014-5792-02580178-.jpg
http://a4.cpimg.com/image/B6/47/11065014-f050-00800050-.jpgfd

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
My PO chopped my doors to put in speakers, two per door. With all the door slamming, the screws were always coming loose. And the weatherstripping doesn't seal the doors 100%, so moisture gets inside. When I had her repainted I found replacement doors and put speakers in kickpanels.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The 6 1/2 will handle more power than a 4x6. There simply are larger. This is not to say that buying premium 4x6's won't produce some nice sound for going down the highway, especially in a coup as opposed to a down convertible top. I chose 6 1/2 inch compnent speakers. I went with component speakers (seperate tweeter and a crossover along with the 6 1/2) because it had a better range and power handling. The trick was to find 6.5's that arn't too deep. anything more than 2" deep won't fit with the aftermarket kick panels. These speakers are 75 watts rms. I chose kicker speakers for there mounting depth and there look. If you are not going resto-mod then you would not like the look but they go well with my theme "WARPIG". That was the other problem was finding grills that looked good for a mustang. For me plain black, unless you have a black interior would not look right. The kick panels are not that noticable but i'm planning matching 6x9's on the sides of the back seat. and a 12" sub woofer that i'm going to try to fabricate to fit on the spare tire like a hub cap with everything powered off a 5 way amplifier putting out 75 watts to each of the 4 speakers and 150 to the woofer.

G

·
0 Posts
I have the aftermarket kick panels with some Sony speakers along with some 6x9s in the package shelf. The combination gives a pretty decent sound, although the speakers have to compete with the rest of the car, as it's pretty loud going down the freeway.

I personally feel this is a much better approach than the door mounted speakers, but I'm also not a purist, either about sound or originality.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Definalty dont cut holes in the doors for your speakers, the PO did it on mine and I hate them there. The front grills on them keep poping off when I shut the doors, and of coarse the windows leak a bit, so last time I pulled them out I saw they had gotten wet, but still sound o.k, so I just stuck them back. Sound quality really sucks with them there also, my thigh is only a couple inches away and blocks the driver side one. In fact, one day, I am going to patch up the doors, replace the door panels and get the kick panel setup, thats how much I hate the door speakers. 6 1/2's up front, with some 6X9's on the back package tray, should sound nice. Good Luck. James

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Well.....IMHO buthering the doors to mount speakers is a bad idea......not only is it Fugly...but it doesn't look very good....

The kick panels is the ideal place for your FRONT stage. Front stage implies that your speakers will be located to the front of your ears.....not beside them on the doors.....

You will get better stereo separation, better frequency response
(with no cancellation of sound waves) and your highs and mid won't be drounded out by the seats etc....

The ideal size for a front stage is 6.5 inches.....in a component (detached tweeter and midbass woofer) or a coaxial setup.

Mounted preferrably at a 30 degree angle (in relation to the kick panel being zero degrees)

This way, een your passengers enjoy a "sweet spot" when cruising with you.

The rear package tray is a good candidate for "rear fill" speakers
such as 6x9's or separates.....I went with the 8 inch midbass woofer, 4 inch midrange and .75 inch tweeter separates from MBQuart....with the mini comp crossovers....

The fronts are 6.5 inch MBquart separates also with minicomp crossovers....

The low frequencies will be pounded out by a single 12 inch subwoofer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts