Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What spark plugs have VMFer's had good/bad luck with? What would you run in a 10:1 347 with an electronic distributor and 6A box or equivalent? (And what plugs wouldn't you take as a gift?)

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
V groove, U groove, Split-Fire, platinum, all sex appeal and marketing gimmicks... (IMHO)

I buy plain ol' Autolites, Motorcraft, or Champions.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I have been very happy with Autolites. I have run nothing but Autolite 45's in my '66 since I built it and have had great results with them (gapped at .055). The current plugs I have are NGK "V power" plugs. I just thought I'd try them. I have a few thousand miles on them and can't tell any difference with them, but haven't been out to the track since I installed them, either.

I wouldn't take Champion plugs as a gift. I ran them all the time in my big block Mopar and loved them. IME, though, they don't last worth a darn in Fords.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't take Champion plugs as a gift. I ran them all the time in my big block Mopar and loved them. IME, though, they don't last worth a darn in Fords.
I've run mostly Champs over the years and have always been happy with them, but enough people fall on the ground in seizures when they're mentioned that I'll probably go with something else in this engine. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Accel. I like their plugs without resistors. I usually team them up with Jacob's wires. I like the result.

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
I've been using Autolite double coppers since I started driving. Never had an issue I could complain about. Now AC-delco and Champions on the other hand.... ::

Heck, I even run Autolites in my chainsaw, weedwacker and lawnmower... :)

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Running NGK 5RW V power plugs now with same ignition set-up as you, but I think they're a little too hot for my 11+ CR 347. I have some slightly cooler NGK's on order now in an effort to resolve my pinging issues, but with 10.1 CR, the 5RW's should work well.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The Fastback's engine is close to yours and has a 750 Holley. The instructions that came with my AFR 185 heads recommended ACFR3LS or Champion RC9YC. Of course, these are 14mm x 3/4" reach gasketed plugs. I found that the RC9YC showed a little rich (street driving), and tried one heat range hotter plug which ended up being Autolite 3924. These plugs look pretty good for my application and setup.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
My setup:

302, NGK FR4s, .055 gap, MSD 6A and 8579 Pro Billet, 14/35 total timing, 9.837:1 compression, TFS heads, F303 cam, Demon 650, 12.8 @ 109mph

I wouldn't take any other plug as a gift, except maybe NGK Iridium plugs, cause theys pricey :p

Robert

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use Autolite 45's as well. I'm thinking it's a little too hot though. I have been thinking of going down 1 step for a cooler plug. Def runs a little rich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts