Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 block, and I have a C-4 transmission currently installed. THe flywheel I have came from a 1972 era Mustang.

What starter do I need? Is there a balance issue with the late model engine? The torqure converter bolted up just fine with the flywheel.

I will have to go buy a starter tomorrow for the daughter's bracket drag race car, while the car is in the air.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
What engine is it? A 302? All you need to tell the parts house is that you have a '86 302 or whatever and you need a starter.

The flywheel in an automatic is called a flexplate.

Do you have the old starter? If so you should bring it to compare. Besides they will want it for a core trade in. Otherwise you will be hit with a core charge.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If your flexplate is a 72 it's a 28 oz balance weight. The 86 block if it has a late model crank would require a 50 oz flexplate, so yes you are looking at a vibration-balance issue.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
bambam said:
If your flexplate is a 72 it's a 28 oz balance weight. The 86 block if it has a late model crank would require a 50 oz flexplate, so yes you are looking at a vibration-balance issue.
Yup....The parts will bolt on but aren't the correct balance.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the 1986 block 302 will have a different balance, but whay flexplate will I need to run a C-4 with the later block?

Are all Ford automatic trnamission flexplates equal? That is what it sounds like.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still don't think there is a quality answer available. No offense, but this topic is answered about 50 different ways on 10 different websites I visited today.

Here is the basic scenario (Is it this simple?). I walk into a parts store needing a FLEXPLATE and starter to fit my late model (1986)302 engine with a (dipstick in the case) early C4 transmission. What car/truck do I tell the man at the counter to give me a matching starter and flwxplate for?

Yes Jegs and Summit sell their $100 versions, and $150 starters, but there has to be a simple answer, and a lot less expensive. There also seems to be options with larger flexplates and either 157 or 164 teeth. Sorry if I sound bitter, but I asked this question on two different sites and searched all day, and there is no real definitive guide.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
TCI makes a ~$65 5.0/C4 157t flywheel that sounds like the ticket. Either 5.0-era or vintage starters ought to work as long as they are correct for SBF/auto.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After going to a transmission shop and reviewing their old flywheel books, and searching online for this mysterious flywheel, I have an answer others should be able to use.

Here is the deal. The flywheel needed for a late model small block matched to a small case 302 is as everyone states, a flywheel with 157 teeth and 50 oz balance/imbalance. You cannot go to a parts store and ask for a certain model, because this was never placed on a production car. I searched for prices, and TCI makes them, and sells them under part number 529610 (as of 1/3/08). TCI wants $98.01, Summit wants $81.95, and Jegs wants $83.99...all for the same TCI part.

To answer my starter question, if I buy a starter for a 1966 Mustang V8, it will be correct for a 157 tooth flywheel. No you cannot go and buy a starter for a 86 block as cmayna stated, that will get you a starter for a 164 tooth flywheel.

This research does not apply to an AOD conversion.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
No you cannot go and buy a starter for a 86 block as cmayna stated, that will get you a starter for a 164 tooth flywheel.
Talking about being slammed. Ouch :p

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Have an 89 HO. With a C-4 and have a 50 oz imbalance flexplate. It looks exactly like a 28 imbalance plate except for the larger weight welded on. Just bought a starter at Advance for a 68 302 and it works fine. Also have a 50 oz imbalance dampner. Believe the dampner and plate are available at NPD, Summit, Jegs,etc. Mine came from Total Performance in Mich. Donot know their no.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts