Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What takes oil stains out of concrete driveway?? Swambo very upset. House is only 4 months old!!
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Castrol Super Clean. 1 gal jug is about $7.00. Great stuff.

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

PS, that's my 'bird...... My Mustang is too ugly to take pictures of yet........*G*.

http://www.teleport.com/~cosa/bird2.jpg

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Simple Green. Let it set on the area for a couple of hours. Brush up with a soft bristle srub brush, no more stains! Simple green is about the same prices a the Castrol stuff that Hal mentioned.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12287439&p=44845480.jpg

·
Registered
194 Posts
The best thing I have found is a product called Oil Eater. Spray it on, let it sit, hose it off. On real tough stains I usually scrub with a wire brush or a push broom. You can buy a 1 gallon container and a squirt bottle for about $9 at Costco.

1966 Coupe - GT - 4 speed
http://www.workforcescc.com/pdf/Side4.jpg

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I've used simple green and super clean. The super clean is way stronger for the tough stuff, but simple green is better for things like rubber in engine compartments. I'm also embarrased to say that I've used lacquer thinner and a pressure washer in a pinch, and had good success. I use the super clean when I have it on concrete, and use simple green for cleaning my engine.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=43865988.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Yep, Oil Eater absolutely rocks.

'65 Coupe ***Total Project***
Current Stats: Dead 200 six, C4, surface rust, hole in the floorpan :)

Plans: Tremec TKO, and a powerful engine of some sort. (I have a 351C sitting in the garage, but that's a lot of work!)

G

·
0 Posts
Muriatic (sp?) Acid ... of course, it foams up a bit and emits a rather strong odor. You can get it from the local hardware store, too. Price runs a little more than the other stuff mentioned, but you will have unbelievably clean concrete. I used it on the few oil stains I had and it cleaned it up too well. I had to clean the rest of the garage floor to make SWMBO happy ...

So, use at your own risk ... it might create more work for you.

kt
1969 Coupe ... work in progress

G

·
0 Posts
the quickest way (in my opinion) is a pressure washer. u can get one at harbor freight for pretty cheap and it comes in handy. itll take off old paint and everything from the concrete (or a house). but u use a lot of water.

G

·
0 Posts
Try Coca-Cola . . .

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and .......Let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, And run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FYI:
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its Ph is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Mike
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's amazing. Is it safe to drink? I'm glad I drink Mountain Dew. :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have also used automatic dish washer powder. Works pretty good.

Ronny
68 Fastback, 66 Coupe, 64 Ranchero
Mustang Owner's Club of Austin, TX

·
Registered
487 Posts
If the stain is relatively recent, you can dump some ready mix concrete on it and the ready mix will actually "draw" the oil out of the driveway..

Dang! Just when I got used to being "strange", I became a "newbie", then a "tire-kicker". Now I'm a "beginner"?.....hmmmmmm...where do I start?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
and it used to remove the paint from the cowels as well if it got on it when you clean the windshield..Todays coke is not as strong as the old days though, one aspirin and a bottle of coke in the 50's and you were flying.

D .G.Cudmore

1 - 14 of 14 Posts