Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was redoing the hoses under the hood and I got a little "WhileI'matis"--I decided to flush and fill the rad,all new hoses anfd a new T-stat--Here's my question--I have two T-stats--1 is a 180 and 1 is a 195 degree--If I put in the 180 it reads very low on the guage and if I put in the 195 it reads almost to the top of the guage--Which is to be expected since they open at different temps--What,if any, is an advantage to running a 195 or 180?--Any danger here?--Does the 351c like to run better on one temp or the other?--TIA don

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
if i remember correctly im running the 180, and i have never had a problem in the 4 years i have had my Mach1 351C

seems to run fine since everything is cool.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If gauge readings are that far apart perhaps one of them isn't working properly. I'd stick them in a pan of water and heat it up and see what temp they open at by using a thermometer. In general, a higher temp is better for combustion efficiencies but most guys worry about too much heat and would opt for the 180 degree stat. I have a six cyl that runs cool and therefore use a 195 degree stat.

·
Registered
771 Posts
are they aftermarket thromostats?? I just got doen changing a thermostat in a 90 ford van with the 5.0 in it and it had a 192 so i went up to autozone put in a 195 sealed it all up and it ran hot,,, the van never ran hot liek this so i knew it was the thermostate becauase i just got done changing hoses and a new radiator so i went to for and got a 192 which was the correct one I did the pan in the water test and put the 192 and the 195 at 191 the ford thermostat opened up all the way up till 200 and then when i loooked at the 195 (aftermarket) it was just starting to open and ti was 205 degrees!!! so there is a differrence id go to ford and see what they used and buy a ford one not a aftermarket!! dont get robertshaw thermostats! enjoy

G

·
0 Posts
I agree with Teebone. Of the two choices, run the 180. Clevelands traditionally run a little warm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts