Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
67 coupe- 2 barrel set up. What the heck are those brackets on the manifold not being used? Ever seen a idle adjustment like this one?
What is that capped off vacuum line just sticking up toward the firewall?
You never know....... Thanks, Tom

OK- added some more pics and want to consider going to a 4 barrel set up and getting rid of all this shade tree mess. What is the route to go for a 4 barrel on a budget for resale?- not a keeper Take a peak at those brake lines and master cylinder (want to clean this up). Also, note the bellcrank assembly and how close to exhaust pipe. There is no way to adjust the kickdown either- cable too long with full adjustment- Can you plug the choke heater tube if not needed?
Any value in that 2V carb? Thanks for your input. Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
New to me... never seen anything like that before.. wow...interesting though...good luck finding out.. I'm curious now what that is too...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Throttle/Transmission controls from a 65. I'm guessing you don't have the original engine. Vacuum lines are for PCV valve and transmission vacuum modulator. Modulator hose looks a bit large.

·
Registered
571 Posts
That looks like some old school jury rigged throttle linkage, and it looks like someone needed a vacuum tee for the transmission, so they just grabbed one they had and used that line to cap off the other outlet.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Nope...they're factory (in 65) linkages, but they may be early. My SEPT65 production 65 has the same setup. There would have been a solid rod from the lever to the transmission and a connecting rod from the carb linkages to the levers.

·
Registered
680 Posts
That coathanger rod is not factory. I can look at my 65 tonight and give you better details. It's been several years since I've removed the crap covering the car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That looks to me like an automatic trans kick down linkage bracket. It is similar to 65 but not exact. Was / is your car auto or manual trans? If manual, that vacuum tube was probably cut off when they did a conversion from auto to manual.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK- I'm all in favor of cleaning this up but what do I need to do to make it either like a factory 65 or a factory 67 and which is easier/cheaper? This is not a keeper but I do want it to look decent. The only thing I know is that the auto tranny came out of a column shift car and this is floor shift so I had to correct that part already. Don't really care about a kickdown linkage now that I can change all the gears in the floor. Yea, this is a classic GA peach shade tree special. That idle adjustment looks like a screwdriver :loco:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Well assuming the lever assembly is not attached to anything it can be removed. You should also replace the high performance coathanger with the correct bell crank to carb rod assembly...and it looks like you will need bushings for where the correct rod connects to the bellcrank. I am not familiar with '67 bellcranks so I cannot tell you how the kick down system works. If it is like/similar to the '66 design there would be a second arm on the bellcrank. This arm points downward and is connected to the trans kick down lever via a cable. Manula bellcranks do not have this arm.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Well assuming the lever assembly is not attached to anything it can be removed. You should also replace the high performance coathanger with the correct bell crank to carb rod assembly...and it looks like you will need bushings for where the correct rod connects to the bellcrank. I am not familiar with '67 bellcranks so I cannot tell you how the kick down system works. If it is like/similar to the '66 design there would be a second arm on the bellcrank. This arm points downward and is connected to the trans kick down lever via a cable. Manula bellcranks do not have this arm.
Yes, that 66-68 linkage, including kickdown, is all available new, easy to install, and works great.

The bellcrank in your photos is a 65 Fairlane throttle linkage, intended to reduce throttle fluctuation due to engine torque. It was needlessly complicated, and was mercifully never used on Mustangs, although it resembles the 65 kickdown.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Anybody know when cruise came out? I thought "speed control" was an option in 68. Could that strange linkage, not the coat hanger part, but the bracket part, could that be a mount for some kind of vacuum cruise attachment?

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
There was actually an "over the counter" cruise setup available since '65 that could be dealer installed. I think that Hawaiian Dave Hammar's website has some pics and descriptions of it.

I think factory cruise came out in '67...

Tony K.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts