Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning Mom's garage today and found this gadget that came with my fastback when I bought it back in 1990. I had forgotten all about it. It was screwed under the dash left of the steering column, and the cable end wasn't attached to anything, so I took it off and promptly forgot I had it. The only writing I can find on it says "Rotunda" and "Amerock." Could it be some kind of remote hood release? Anybody want to enlighten me? I don't want to throw it away - somebody could be looking for this thing on ebay right now!

Anybody recogonize it? Sorry for a couple of the blurry pics...

MrFreeze

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think it's a manual choke lever (but I could be wrong). Do you have an electric choke by chance?...:shrug:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car had a thermostatic choke on a Holley carb when I got it. It's an A code, so it came with a 4100 and thermo choke. It seems awfully complicated for a manual choke, but maybe...

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Might be a really crude "speed control" device. Kind of like a really simple cruise control.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes that is what they considered dealer speed or cruise control back in the day. I have one in the original box. Has a cable that hooks to the brake pedal so you can disable it when braking. Was going to use it on a 66 GT HT I had years ago and never did. Nice conversation piece but doubt I'd use it today.

Chris

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No kidding, that's a cruise control? It looks like it would just fix your throttle in one place, so you would go slow up hills and hell for leather on the way down. Guess that's one area where technology has definitely advanced...

Anybody need a slightly used Rotunda cruise control?

Thanks, guys
MrFreeze

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I know this a little late in posting, but thought I'd add it in. The correct name for the item is a "throttle control". To call it an early "cruise control" wouldn't (shouldn't), get any arguments though!:lol:

Here's a link to more info on it:
Dave's 1966 Mustang Accessories Page

Scroll down the page just a little and you'll see it listed. If you click on the second file listing under the image on the left side of the screen, you'll find a copy of the installation instructions. They occasionally pop up on Ebay for sale. Nice find!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a great page, Ponyman66. Thanks for pointing it out. Turns out you also answered another question about this car - what the warning light that says "brake" was for. It's on Dave's website as well (C4DZ-15A852-A), and it also came with the car. I'll have to stick my head under the dash and see if the rest of it is intact (I don't remember it ever working). Clearly the original owner liked to poke through the Ford accessories catalogs back in the day...

MrFreeze

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
GT, just what else do you have in your closet?
When did that accessory become available?

·
Registered
34,422 Posts
Well, with that "C4" part number, I'd assume that particular version was introduced in 63-64.

It's a pretty cool and very rare accessory, I'd clean it up and install it. It'll be impressive at shows.

·
Registered
187 Posts
More trivia

"Ralph Teetor, a prolific (and blind) inventor, invented cruise control. Teetor, blind since the age of five, built his first car, a one-cylinder, by the age of 12. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Pennsylvania. His first job post-graduation was to develop technology for steam turbine rotors used in torpedo boat destroyers during W.W.I.
Ralph Teetor became a mechanical engineer for the Light Inspection Car Company, a company founded by his family that later was renamed the Perfect Circle Corporation. The company provided piston rings to car companies such as Packard, General Motors, Chrysler and Studebaker. He soon became the Vice President of Engineering for Perfect Circle and later the President. In 1945, Ralph Teetor received his first patent on a speed cruise control device. Early names for his invention included “Controlmatic”, "Touchomatic”, “Pressomatic” and “Speedostat” and finally the familiar name of “Cruise Control”. Teetor thought of inventing cruise control after a jerky car ride. He was being driven by his lawyer, an avid talker, who would slow down and speed up while conversing. Cruise control was first offered in the 1958 Chrysler Imperial, New Yorker and Windsor car models. By 1960, cruise control was offered on all Cadillacs".

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Greetings,

I remember seeing a similar device on an old Ford chassis tow truck. To run the PTO, you would throw the lever, let out the clutch and pull the cable knob, to raise engine rpm.

Not as scary as another old tow truck where you used the clutch to directly operate the winch.

Some school buses had a cable control for raising engine rpm to improve heater output when parked. The one I remember from high school would disengage when the brakes were applied.

Don

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Yeah, That's the first Mustang "Rotunda" cruise control.. Was used on other Fords and Mercs and Lincolns as well. Note the Lincoln Dash in one of the pics..

You got it!

Rare.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Yup. Another Post of the Living Dead.

·
Administrator
19,775 Posts
Almost a year ago. Zombie thread.
(Pointless repetition of the immediately previous reply, but rephrased slightly so the author doesn't come off completely as an utter idiot.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts