Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of you may remember that a few weeks ago I posted that I was leaking some oil and smoking (due to the oil hitting the hot exhaust pipes) at freeway speeds. Well, a few days after that I noticed a ticking sound when I was at low speeds (even stopped both in drive and park). It was fairly noticable at low speeds, but at higher speeds I didn't hear it anymore. I knew I had an exhaust hanger that had broken, resulting in a muffler cocking sideways. I figured it was hitting against something, making the noise. The sound only happened when the engine was good and warm, so I knew this didn't make sense. Well, today on the way home from work it started making the noise again. I got it home, and proceded to try and find the source of the noise. It was definately from the engine. I could kind of feel the vibration corresponding to the noise through the driver's side valve cover, but the sound was louder on the passenger side. I tried to adjust the timing to see if this helped, but it didn't. Retarding timing to lower RPMs also slowed the ticking, and speeding it up made the ticking faster so it was directly related to engine RPM. I had also noticed recently that the car seemed to be running rough around a sustained 30-40 mph. It was almost as if the breaks were being partially applied, then released, the applied over and over very quickly. Anyway, here's the kicker (in case anyone is still awake at this point...). After trying to get the ticking stopped today, I decided it might be due to the 87 octane gas I had been using. So, with about a fourth a tank of gas I drive to gas station. Keep in mind that the engine is still good and warm. About half way there, driving about 55, I get on the gas a little (not full throttle), and POP. And then an whining noise. I pressed the gas but only got the whine. The oil and alt lights came on, I coasted into a driveway, and the engine was dead. I tried to re-crank and just got the whine. Tried again and got the whine. Tried again and got a click, like you get when the battery is about dead (not enough amps to turn the car over). I checked the voltage, the battery is fine. I checked the ground and I have lost no fluids (water, gas, oil, tranny fluid). The lady whose driveway I pulled into was nice enough to let me leave the car there overnight so I can get a tow truck and have it hauled home. What do you guys think? My father-in-law says it's probably something with the starter (some part that fits into the flywheel breaking?). I don't have a clue. I'm just hoping I'm not looking at a major engine repair bill. I guess the starter is a good starting point if that's reasonable, since I can replace that myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help :\

'65 289 4V Edelbrock 1405 600CFM C-4 yada yada yada

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
It sounds like you might have blown a lifter..it could have collapsed..nothing clicks louder then a rocker arm bouncing around without any tension on it, But I am confused as too why the engine just quit, most will run with one bad lifter, I would start out by pulling the valve covers and checking inside.Your father-in-law also raises a good point..maybe the starter pinion jammed in the flywheel..why that would happen while it was running is a mystery to me..Good Luck..keep us posted

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>

http://www.geocities.com/theadgroup/T-Bone.html
http://www.geocities.com/midlife66/tbone/tbone.html

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi, it could have broken a timing chain. If it was on its way it could have been clicking on the cover this would also account for the loss of power and the whine while trying to restart could be pistons turning without the cam the click at the end could be valve jammed into piston. this has all the signs I just hope if it is that it didn't do any real damage.
John

Opal frost pearl metallic 67 coupe http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/febef75b01.JPG
also have a 95 opal frost pearl G/T BOSS edition convertible belongs to swmbo

G

·
0 Posts
Pull off the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is spinning when you crank it over. No spin= timing chain
If does spin when cranked do a static timing check to see if the chain could have slipped a few teeth

Greg B

·
Registered
6,070 Posts

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
A couple things....pop the starter off and verify its operation either at home or at the local auto parts store...do the same with the battery and solenoid...

While you're under there, drain your oil into a clean pan for inspection...

Has the ticking been getting any worse over the last few weeks or stayed the same? Remove the valve covers and inspect the upper valvetrain for obvious damage...

Pull the lid off the carb and tell us what you see....only if you know what you're doing...the carb should be in the same state it was when the engine died....

When you get the starter operational, take the spark plugs out and the distributor cap off and crank the engine briefly....tell us what you see...note anything coming out of the spark plug holes as well as the rotation of the distributor rotor...

When you get that far, as well as doing any other diagnostics posted here, get back to us with the details...

Notwithstanding the starter problem, this could be something as simple as a dead fuel pump......no, I'm not starting a pool....*G*

BTW, the whine you heard as you were coasting was likely the engine attempting to be driven through the torque converter and trans if you didn't neutral the car right away....that happens for a brief period before the trans looses control pressure and kicks out of gear...

When I used to shut the engine off in the race car at the end of a run after neutralling the trans, I'd hear the same whine....the output shaft turning the planetaries...BTW...that's not recommended...I stopped doing it after prematurely wearing out the tailshaft slipyoke bushing from lack of lubricant...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts