Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I just dropped my upper control arms down and decided to fix up the shock towers. Below them in the frame (pic attached) there was 50 years of crap. I cleaned it out (which may have been a bad idea). Now I’m concerned of water collecting in there and want to fill it back up (if it is supposed to be). Does anyone know if it is supposed to have something in there and, if so, what?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Nothing goes there. Prime it, paint it seal it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,968 Posts
Clean it out and don't worry....it'll take 50 years to fill it up again. You CAN weld in the "Shelby" reinforcements, just make sure you seal it up tight. Honestly, if you clean it out well and give it a couple coats of encapsulating paint (Master Series, Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator) or even Epoxy Primer you won't need to worry.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clean it out and don't worry....it'll take 50 years to fill it up again. You CAN weld in the "Shelby" reinforcements, just make sure you seal it up tight. Honestly, if you clean it out well and give it a couple coats of encapsulating paint (Master Series, Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator) or even Epoxy Primer you won't need to worry.
Thanks so much. Whew. One less thing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
When I scraped all the crud out of mine I found there were two intended drain gaps in each back corner that had become plugged up. Don't know if yours is like that or not but you might want to poke around a little just to see. They help keep water from accumulating down in there and that's at least something.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It has been a while since I detailed my wheel wells and replaced the suspension, but recall after I cleaned 50 years of crud out of that area, in 2 of the corners, were small drain slots. I could be wrong but did what everyone did above (protected the metal) and then shot the entire area with Eastwood undercoating.

·
Registered
10,983 Posts
When I scraped all the crud out of mine I found there were two intended drain gaps in each back corner that had become plugged up. Don't know if yours is like that or not but you might want to poke around a little just to see. They help keep water from accumulating down in there and that's at least something.
mine has drains as well , the parts Woodchuck mentioned https://opentrackerracing.com/product/shock-tower-wheel-side-brace-kit-1965-1966-mustang-trans-brace/

·
Registered
931 Posts
If you haven't heard about the shock tower plates mentioned above, you can listen to an explanation in this video. It starts about time index 6:40

·
Registered
684 Posts
The driver's side on my '66 was full of asphalt seam sealer.
I guess someone in Metuchen that day was having fun.
The good part was that there was no rust there!

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
The driver's side on my '66 was full of asphalt seam sealer.
I guess someone in Metuchen that day was having fun.
The good part was that there was no rust there!
This. Unless you box it with steel. I believe it should be filled with something close to a roofing tar.

·
Registered
213 Posts
On my 69, same situation with a lot of crud and beneath the crud a nice layer of sealer. As I am replacing the whole suspension, I cleaned up the whole thing on both sides. There are 2 drain holes, front and back, at the bottom of the of the shock tower where it meets the frame rail. And yes they should be left open. I also installed the reinforcement plates but left some gaps for the water to get to the drain holes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts