Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 coupe with 289 automatic and I rebuilt the front end using a kit that came with everything except the struct rods and coil springs. It had new upper and lower control arms in the kit just to be sure that is known for this discussion. I also installed KYB gas adjust shocks on the front and rear. I reused the original coil springs and I do believe they are the original factory springs. I took the car for a front end alignment after installing all the new parts and also had the shop double check all my handy work. The car sits very high in the front and I was told that it's possible someone did something to cause it to sit so high in the front during the alignment process. I was told that it will settle down after a while and that also the gas shocks could be part of the problem with it sitting so high up in the front. I measured the height from the top of the wheel opening on the outside of the fender to the top of the tire which the tires are a standard 14 inch and I had 4 1/4 inch clearance. I took the shocks lose from the top and I bounced the car up and down a bunch of times and it settled down 7/16 of and inch. I then bolted the shocks back up. I would like to know is there anything that a alignment can do to cause the front end to stand up so high ? It's obviously not the shocks and the coil springs are the same old ones that were on it and before all this it sat very normal looking like it was pretty much level looking. Could the alignment cause anything to keep it sitting up high ? Check out the pictures.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you tighten the lower control arm mounting bolts with the tires on the ground and the full weight on them?
I know that when I put the new lower control arms on I did not tighten them with the wheels on the ground. I don't know exactly what the routine was at the alignment shop. Wouldn't the fact that the car bounced up and down so freely with the shocks undone indicate that nothing is binding up though ?

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
441 Posts
Are the coil springs clocked so they sit correctly in the top and bottom seats?

·
Super Moderator
10,794 Posts
That's pretty high, glad you attached pics. As mentioned above, it looks like the motor is missing.

I've had lower sitting cars after the motor was pulled.

·
Radar
6,816 Posts
Just to be real clear here, you've driven the car around some and it still sits that high? If so and everything else is in place correctly it's gotta be the LCA bolts being tightened good and plenty with the car off the ground.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to be real clear here, you've driven the car around some and it still sits that high? If so and everything else is in place correctly it's gotta be the LCA bolts being tightened good and plenty with the car off the ground.
I suspect I have driven it about 150 miles since all the work. I drives much better with all the new stuff but it is just sitting sky high.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Where's the sheet from the alignment job?
The lower arms (stock) are always problematic on Mustangs, with that stupid bushing.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also if the lower control arm was just to tight and holding the car up then when I removed the front shocks the car shouldn't bounce up and down so freely cause it was just very bouncy without the shocks attached.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well for some reason it won't let me post a picture of the alignment sheet. Maybe it's because my memebership is a free one or something.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts