Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
They swapped your springs with something else. Who knows with what. Maybe a 69/70 set? I've seen plenty of shops trying to cover crap like a cat like that. Springs don't ever get longer. Pull them off. Measure the relaxed height. Count the coils. Go from there. Step one is to no longer trust what they have said. A friend took an old truck to get some new tires. Came back with quite a few pieces missing. Funny how the mechanic had a similar truck. Hard to prove. You do the math. That's one reason why I do my own work.

Reactions: jsbenami

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Sometimes restoring a car to stock height can make it look very high.
Keep in mind a few things when doing spring work in addition to the earlier state clocking and loosening then lowering before tightening and such. First thing is that your front end can appear high relative to how low your rear is sagging. As the back goes down, the headlights point up. Two, they do settle in about a full inch, and sometimes more. The only thing my PO did on my car was put in new front controls arms and springs and no motor until I reassembled the rest of my Mustang. Even with the motor in the front was sitting high, and only when I installed new rear springs did things begin to look leveled out. Then I drove it for a while. About 1" came down in front. Supposedly they used front lowering spring when they did the whole front end with a Grab-a-Trak kit. Then I put 1" shackles on the rear to raise it up 1" from stock spring height to get rid of most of that leaning back look and level it out nicely. Allegedly the rear leaning back was a desirable thing for a sports car back in the day, but it should not be excessive. But even one inch of it bother me a lot.

For the rear my new leafs at stock heigh 114 GT rate Eaton spring made the rear come up about 3-4" in the back. I mean it was really sagging with it's (probably) original springs. I loaded the new spring in the back and truck and we rubbed tires all the way to the Army shop where I installed the new ones myself.

One of my front springs is clocked all the way against the stop, the other about 1/2-1" before it. That side that is not square against the stop sits about 2/3" higher than the other side of the car. I am going to fix that now that they are done settling after 2 years and about 8,000 miles and I've run out of big stuff to do, almost.

At last check (this is a 68' Coupe with A/C and power steering) my heights were the following from center of the up to top arch of the fender well, maybe rounded off a bit.

RF 26 3/8"
LF 25 5/8"
RR 26 1/4 "
LR 26 1/8"

And YES that 3/8" of an inch difference between the fronts bothers me. It's also pushing the LR down just a wee bit.

Went digging through ancient posts and one time came back with a guy who cited a 1966 TSB that said Front 26.68 + 1 to -.70 variance and Rear 25.39 +1 -.75 variance. Take that with a grain of salt though, as each car as we know rolled off the lines differently and there really were no published ride heights in those days. I've even heard one side of the frame vs the other can have a difference. I plan to rotate that spring after partially compressing it. If that does not work then I'll have it cut a little at a time until the front is perfectly level......doggarnit!!
Yes sir, I can see that you pay close attention to the height. I also pay attention to it and will be working for perfection from this old time machine. Thank you for your comment.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
They swapped your springs with something else. Who knows with what. Maybe a 69/70 set? I've seen plenty of shops trying to cover crap like a cat like that. Springs don't ever get longer. Pull them off. Measure the relaxed height. Count the coils. Go from there. Step one is to no longer trust what they have said. A friend took an old truck to get some new tires. Came back with quite a few pieces missing. Funny how the mechanic had a similar truck. Hard to prove. You do the math. That's one reason why I do my own work.
So very true !! I agree totally !!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hahaha that's what I keep thinking I'll tell folks who ask why it's so high ! I'll say it use to be a gasser!
L0L
I looked up the definition of a ‘gasser’ on Wikipedia and the entry under suspension was quite amusing:

“With form being dictated by function, their appearance is often very top heavy and ungainly, largely due to front ends being raised higher than stock, to assist in the weight transfer during rapid acceleration (racing)”

So I guess big n’ fugly as all hell wasn’t just a 70s thing 🤣

·
Registered
839 Posts
yup I haven’t been to one mechanic yet except a very old school alignment guy who hasn’t left it in worse shape than it entered. I used to be a junior flunky at shops in my early working days suspension was of the few things I had time to get good at. So I try never to go to over priced button pokers 🤓 who double as mechanics on the side.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Looks like you have KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. They are known to be very stiff and hard to compress.

This is not helping your problem. I have used them in off road cars and they actually raised the front end (pushed it up).

Not to mention the stiffness tends to make the car skittish going into turns at speed..

61 - 69 of 69 Posts