Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long long time since I've posted. I'm an example of a project that gets so close but never finds its finish.

So I have a 66' with a 89' 302 in it. I took off all the Efi components. I put on a edlebrock performer intake. I put on a Holley carb. I have a stock cam with a timing chain cover off a 77' 302 (Dorman #635-107).

My question is I have a Comp cam #2138 currently in it. It has less then 20 miles on it before an intake manifold leak happened and put this whole project on the back burner along with 3 kids.

I have a neighbor that is a Ford guy and he seems to think I need a #7820 edlebrock timing set for it. He states that the one I have is 10 degrees off and will cause it to run rich? Do I or do I not have the correct timing chain for my motor.

22gt please help lol

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
I'm not 22GT but I'll tell you what I think- you need to close your garage door when you see your neighbor coming over. Did he explain to you how a timing chain can cause an engine to run rich? That's the first time I've heard that line.
It appears to me that the Comp 2138 and Eddy 7820 are the same thing- a basic roller timing set with 0*, +4* and -4*. They are probably the exact same set made by some company and sold in different packaging.

P

·
0 Posts
MOVE . . and also . .you really have a 1977 302 camshaft in your engine? yuk Or do you mean a stock roller cam? I run the stock Ford double roller in all my roller engines. It's a great value.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounded a little fishy to me too.....lol....but I've been postponed on this project for all of 3 years and the inline 6 to v8 conversion with some modern mods as well had my head spinning with Information. I'm just trying to regain my bearings before putting it back together for one last time.

Everyone agree my 89 Lincoln LSC motor with a stock cam in it with a Holley carb. and edlebrock performer 289 intake and #2138 comp can is just fine?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 89 roller cam. I took a 89 roller motor took off Efi added intake, carb, v belt, changed timing cover to older 302 model added #2138 timing set

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think his misunderstanding is that because I put a carb and intake on it then it reverts back to that. Thanks everyone I thought I had it right but just wanted to make 100% sure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts