Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while I have both cowl panels off Is there anything behind /under the dash that I should address.

#1 I have rebuilt the heater core/box but not the fan. the fan motor/housing is still in place under the dash. how do i test fan if no battery/engine in car

#2 Is there a quality replacement dash speaker, original looks shot. It will be easy to replace it with the cowl off. the wiring harness looks great( big mistake did not check all electronics prior to tear down).

I dont want to deal with anything behind the dash after the cowl goes back on. thanks again

·
Registered
626 Posts
you can get a replacement speaker from most mustang suppliers

·
Registered
637 Posts
You might want to give the wiper motor a good once over, although I haven't seen a failed one.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oh, for the heater fan, just hook 12 volts to it. I'd probably pull it and test it on the bench as that gives you an opportunity to replace the body gasket. Besides it is almost as easy to remove it as it is to set a batt and jumper cables beside the car. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have a battery charger? I use a 10 AMp to test, its just enough to make stuff run but not enough to blow circuits (most of the time) this will let you test the system.
Note -the lights and controls will be slower or more dim due to the amps. so don't sweat it this is only to test the items.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd hook the instrument panel back up (if it's removed) and make sure all the instruments and lights work. I'd also make sure the ignition switch works too.

I bought a spare battery for testing all the electrical stuff when I was putting my car together for the first time.

Is the new speaker the same as the old one? This would be a good time to replace or upgrade the radio, if you're so inclined.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts