Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked up my engine from the machine shop they said I need a stall converter with a stall speed of 2000 rpm for the cam they put in my engine. I've looked at Jeg's and Summit and they sell a TCI for about $240. Is there any way to get one less expensive? This is for a 289 with a C-4. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
partsamerica.com (advanced auto parts) has a b&m for $119

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You get what you pay for. Go with a budget low-dollar converter and save $75, then it fails ruining your day/week. Best case you limp home, or it fails leaving you stranded one night in the rain 30 miles from no where. Hopefully it doesn't break anything else. You then get to crawl under the car again for a few days while transmission fluid drips down your arms, in your eyes, and all over you, only to install another converter you just bought.

My suggestion: On a job like that, buy quality proven parts, do it right, and do it once.

good luck

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You've found a good machinist! A cam should match the converter.

I bought a TCI "Breakaway" converter from Summit about a year ago.... Seems like it was about $160. Works great, no complaints!

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Point me to your engine specs and rear end gear and I can recommend something..

I've used TCI products in the race car with good success. Currently the car has the 10" Streetfighter converter in it. Inexpensive (300.00 or so) and reliable.

Main problem I've had with converters is stator sprag failures...also, in the cheaper units, sometimes the turbine fins will bend or come loose.

If this is a performance app, don't skimp on quality, IMO..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll give you all the info I have about the cam:

It is a 351 W cam (made by Schneider)

Grind is 262-70H
Rocker ratio is 1.6
Valve lash hot-cold:
Intake- .00
Exhaust- .000
Valve Lift:
Int.- .448
Exh.- .470
Duration:
Int.- 262
Exh.- 270
Camlift:
Int.- .280
Exh.- .295
Duration at .050" Camlift:
Int.- 208
Exh.- 214

Right now my car a has an 8" rear end with 2:80 gears. When the engine is in the car I will have the gears changed to 3:25's or 3:50's.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Recommend 11" converter (concur with Art on the Breakaway from TCI but others are just as good)...3.50 gears, dual plane intake and vacuum secondary carb at or under 650cfm...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts