Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help making a decision on my 65A Coupe.Perfect body no dents, rust or bondo all glass perfect
its Wimbledon White (perfect)
Red standard vinyl interior (good)
DSO Dallas
Rear Axle 2.83:1
C-4 trans shifts great
200 i6 (poor)
Ok now I bought this car a month ago for $2,000 I think i got a good deal because this car is in excellent shape I drove it around for a few weeks and deceided to rebuild the engine. My prob. is that I really want a 289 in it but can't decied if I want to go through all the trouble, I can do the work myself, I have the tools and the time but not a lot of money to spend (that may be my answer there)I know i can build the i6 to get more hp but i still will have a 6banger. What to do what to do.
Could i please get some advice Thakyou for your time
I will have a pic soon

G

·
0 Posts
It really depends on what you want and we can't help with that.

You can put performance mods into the I6 to get about the same performance as a stock 289.

I would recommend upgrading to disks brakes either way, thus you will want the V8 rear end anyway. With a swap to Granada disk brakes on the front as well, you would have 5 lug hubs and a good base for a better motor.

I would work on getting the suspension in order before worrying about the motor. If you have worn suspension upgrade as much as posible to V8 parts when you get new ones.

Really, there is no need to upgrade anything but the motor. It will fit just fine. It is generally frowned upon to not upgrade the rest of the driveline and suspension as you will want to have more fun with the V8.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mr Mike brings up a great point that a lot of folks don't think of when the question of "covert the 6 to a V8 or sell it question" comes up. Even if you sold it and found a V8 car, it probably would be drum/8" car anyway.
Me....I'd rather find the pristine body/interior and go from there. The cheap route is find a Granada disc setup and a 8" V8 rear.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
My suggestion is you hunt down a parts car. A rusted to hell 1964.5-1966 mustang, or courgar . Or a granada/ monarch. The donor car will have most of the parts you need to get yorself running a V8. You'll get the drivetrain, brakes and suspension. The hard part is finding the donor but once you do its the cheapest and easiest way to go. Be selective with a granada and monarch, only 10% have the 9" rear end, most have an 8" and i seem to have read some of them have an unusable rear end.

Ifyour into Resto-Mod you could get a 89-92 mustang or lincoln mark VII, or a 91-92 t-bird. These cars have a High Ouput 5.0 liter thats fuel injected and an overdrive transmission. You can get an RC Motorsports fron suspension conversion and i've seen posted people using ford explorer 8.8" rear ends to get disc brakes on the back end. You can also a granada or monarch 9" rear end.

The nice thing about a parts car is you can tear it all apart end keep driving your nice one Paint and rebuild the engine at your leasure.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I have made my mind up and i"m going to rebuild my 6banger, I have got the motor tore down and going to take it to the machine shop tomorrow. Any suggestions on the best way to produce a little more hp with out modifying it to much (size cam, Pistons, head work etc.) any info. would be helpfull. And thankyou all who helped me decide on which engine to use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts