Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there are things that need fixing on my car. I recently got my first job and will be making more money than I can handle (yeah, right!) Anyway, I have a few(/forums/images/icons/smile.gif) things on my car that need fixing and I would like your input on what to fix first.

1st idea - Floor pans - They are rusty and they do need replacing. See this link I know they need help but should they go first?
(Click images for larger pictures)
2nd idea - Front suspension - I am pretty sure I need to replace some parts here.
http://www.rporter.ca/vmf/help/Suspension1(small).gif http://www.rporter.ca/vmf/help/Suspension2(small).gif
From these pictures can you tell me what all I should replace, and how urgent it should be.

3rd idea - Carb - My car does not start easily and runs a tad rough. I think I need some carb/choke work.
http://www.rporter.ca/vmf/help/Carb(small).gif
Should i get this fixed sooner than later.

Now a litte reminder, I am a student with a student budget and this car will become my daily driver (once I get my licence/forums/images/icons/smile.gif) So with all that said what should be replaced first.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I think a car should always be structurally sound before it can move on its own power. Then it should be able to handle the power. Then it should have power.

So: first-floors, second-suspention, third-carb

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I would vote Front suspension, carb, floor. The floors don't look that bad but that shock tower is trouble.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have to be a little different. I would go carb, front end, then floors. The car needs to run good and smooth, it needs to stop and handle well, and as long as you don't drive to hard the floors can wait. Once you start in on the floors, you may find other things that need work as well, so there is no way to measure the time frame that it will be done. I do agree with the fact that you need to have a sound structure, but if you don't push it too hard it should be ok for a while.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
680 Posts
First thing I would do is some work on the floorpans. They don't look all that bad to me...Use a wire brush on a drill or angle grinder, and lightly clean the rust up. A lot of it looks from the pictures to bee surface rust. This can be chemically treated and coated with POR-15 or some other product like that. The driver side front can be patched, as can the rear passenger side. This is a lot cheaper and lots less work. You can always replace them later, when you get everything else done....
The spot that I saw in the picture of the front suspension is not the shock tower. That is a bolt on cover for the coil springs....they can be picked up at a swap meet, or bought new from Mustang supply house for very little money.
You might try to steam clean the front end, to clean up 35 or so years of grime, and road dirt. You can then look a lot closer at what you have. I wish my floors would have been as nice as yours. It would have saved me 5 days of HARD work.
People talk like replacing floors is no big deal.....I think it is a real pain it the A**. That is why body shops want $1000.00 to $1500.00 to replace floors....Hope this helps.

·
Registered
340 Posts
In my opinion I would probably do whatever poses the biggest threat to safety or possibility of leaving you stranded. I know I would probably do the floor pans first, but that is because when I bought my car, I pulled up the carpet and there was a piece of sheetmetal layed down covering the passenger floor pan, upon further investigation i found the frame/floor support was poking through the floor, big safety problem. I had been driving the car a little and didn't even realize it. If nothing really poses a safety threat then I guess it comes down to money, a carburetor kit is relatively inexpensive and easy, heck if I can do it anybody can. lol So if it comes to just cash I think I would do the carb, then the suspension, then finish with the floor pans, save the money, get them done correctly, the first time and be done with it. Whichever way you go, I wish you luck. Kalin

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well since that everyone is in agreement, I'll just.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Well the drift think everyone is saying is floor pans, suspension, carb. (???)

For floor pans I think I will get them patched because everyone seems to think that is all that is necessary (for the time being) Now when I take the car in am i supposed to just clean up some of the surface rust have them patched then POR-15 all of it?

For the suspension the cover is bolt on? (So that means I can actually do it?) The car seems to be riding a little low so should i replace the coil springs while i am at it?
Fordnut mentioned steam cleaning the front end. What exactly do you mean by steam cleaning? The previous owner 'once removed' covered nearly every part of the car in undercoating should I removed this and put something on instead like POR-15?

Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Holes? What holes? I'll find some picks of mine if you want to see a hole!!
Do the front end first, depending on how bad it is, it can kill you. Front end and brakes
as your arse depends on them. And a carb kit is peanuts.
Save the floor pans for last when you've got more bucks and time to play with since it's
your d/d. Paint em with rustolean and put some tar and tarpaper over the holes untill
you can afford to replace em. I can hear the purists screaming now but it works for awhile
and keeps you on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts