Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 mach 1 428 cj. Its been sitting for about 10 years or more. Im thinking Id like to try to start it to see if it will run. What are the first things I should do? I have tured it over by hand to make sure it wasnt locked up. It was suppose to run when parked but im sure now there are going to be fuel related problems. So where do I start, Im not a mechanic but I do have some skill.

Mike

·
Registered
405 Posts
If it has been sitting for 10 years, the gas in the tank and carb have turned to varnish. Take the carb off, clean it and rebuild it. The fuel lines and tank will more than likely need to be replaced. Squirt a little oil in each cylinder and turn it over by hand a few times before attempting to start it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
at least drain the oil and put in fresh. pull the plugs, shoot some marvel mystery oil in.

how much fuel is in the tank? these older motors do have some tolerance for old fuel. i'd put some fresh in if you don't want to drain the old out. when you start it keep a lookout for leaks at the fuel pump and carb. they should be replaced or rebuilt before you start it.the cooling system should get a quick flush atleast.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Pull the distributor and spin the oil pump with a drill to get oil to the bearings, cam, and lifters. Hook the fuel pump to a small container of gas and give it a try. I'll bet it fires right up. Good luck, Jack.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I'd replace the plugs and wires, here is what my wires looked like after about 12 years.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/541000-541999/541371_8_full.jpg

They stood by themselves, I literally had to break them in half so I could throw them away.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Clean carb. new plugs, new oil, Drain the tank. Clean up the cap and point. Clean contact on coil. Check wiring.
Clean battery cables or replace.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all that have responeded> I was wondering about the motor needing oil pushed around inside the motor before trying to start. I do belive that there is little to no fuel left in the tank. I purchased the car abotu 5 years age from a man that boughtit in 69. he said he bought it used and it had about 3000 miles on it.
I have found one problem so far, I CANT FIND THE KEYS :(
The other thing I noticed that there seem to bee a small fire at the carb it burnt 3 spark plug wires and a coil wire. So ill guess ill start with that.
The car is around greensboro NC for those who are local. With this cooler weather I think I may start tinkering with it this fall.

Any more sugestions?

Mike

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/med_1192383463-car1.jpg

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/med_1192383696-carpass.jpg

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
mike69cj said:
Hot wire it! :eek: Stick a screwdriver across the starter solenoid and walaa!

I'd use gas from a can instead of the fuel tank, rebuild th carb, make sure the motor turns over, change all fluids and filters and tune up parts, prime the oil pump, and fire it up.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
gotstang said:
mike69cj said:
Hot wire it! :eek: Stick a screwdriver across the starter solenoid and walaa!

I'd use gas from a can instead of the fuel tank, rebuild th carb, make sure the motor turns over, change all fluids and filters and tune up parts, prime the oil pump, and fire it up.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I agree with him on the gas from a can.

After ten years the gas in my gas tank separated out into paint thinner and tar balls. No way to get it clean and it clogged the filter sock right away. Got a new gas tank.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mike,

If the engine is original, you've got a rare (expensive) piece of equipment. I wouldn't chance major damage to the engine just to see if it will start.
First, pull each spark plug and check out the color - white, brown or black. Dry or oily? Now hook up a battery and run a compression test with the plugs out. This will tell you the condition of the rings and valve seals without damage. If the compression is low, squirt oil in the cylinders and see if it improves - if so, you've in for a bore and a ring job.

Next: A gasket set is cheap insurance to see if there are major or pending problems with the internals. I'd pull the intake, oil pan and valve covers and see how it looks inside - any crude? Replace the oil pump while the pan is off. Change the trans fuilds while your at it. No reason to burn out the trans while testing the engine.

Finally, check the rubber fuel and vacuum lines. They are cheap and should be replaced. Don't forget the fuel filter in the carb.

I'm in Raleigh, let me know if you want a hand.

Chris

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have started a couple that sat for years. The fuel pump is toast after sitting that long. Just replace it and then give it a try.

You could disconnect the line at the carb and try cranking it, but I'll bet the pump is gone.

Anyone disagree?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts