Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am specifically referring to having your car pulled up on a ramp truck? I have a 69 with a front spoiler and I am wondering how it it would be pulled up on the truck without at least damaging the front spoiler. Even without the spoiler wouldn't the cable run up against the front valence? I guess I am lucky and have not had a lot of interaction with having vehicles towed. I also hope I would never break down with my car but things happen. What do you all think?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Tell the tow company at the time of the call that your car is low to the ground. Any reputable tow company should be equipped to ramp your car without damaging anything.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had my 70 towed on a rollback to get a VIN inspection done by the DMV. The car was purchased out of state and needed the VIN verified for the title/registration after sitting for about 10 years. The rollback goes low enough that the angle didn't damage the spoiler.

Spliffy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Maybe could pick it up from the rear. Just depends on circumstances. The cable itself often doesn't go under low cars we have towed at my work. There are J hooks and bars, things done at an angle etc etc. Professionals know how to do it without damage.

Besides, I generally have things with me to get me off the side of the road if need be. Barring a catastrophic failure, I'm going home under my own power.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Good question. I ask the dispatch to send a ramp truck. I ask the driver to use his ' long ' hooks at the lower control arms. Explaining, to the driver, the need for extra caution to prevent damage to the expensive and rare spoiler. After we are clear on what I expect and his assurance that it not a problem he is allowed to proceed. Never had a problem but yeah I am a bit anal when it comes to towing my car. Brian
TOW 2.JPG
Tow 6.JPG
Tow 6.JPG

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great input from all, thanks! I would keep tools with me so removing the spoiler sounds like good insurance. I didn't know that hooks could be used on the lower control arms. I think I'd also keep a tow strap in the car since it could wrap around the control arms. Brian, nice car! Mine is the reverse, Black with red stripe no rear spoiler or louvers.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hooks on a LCA? The inquisition was more considerate!
"D" hooks in the lower frame rail is the right way. I have 4-5" below the spoiler, needed a tow 2 years ago when the ign burned out.

·
Registered
33,922 Posts
If you're REALLY worried you can always carry a LONG screw-in tow eye that goes into a threaded hole in the bottom of the radiator support or a bracket attached to it, just below the front bumper.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Always ready to listen to a ' better idea '. Went looking for the ' hole in the bottom of the radiator support ' that woodchuck suggested and couldn't find one. The " D " hooks 1odAMillion is a great suggestion but where to get them ? ?

·
Registered
33,994 Posts
I'm thinking hooking the crossmember would cause way more damage than the lower arms, because the metal is much thinner gauge. On a concours car, wrap a towel around the arm to prevent scratching the paint.

A good tow operator will have such things as a 4x4 to keep the chains away from a low spoiler or front bumper when loading.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
If you google tow eye bolt many will come up. Or one could be easily made if what's available isn't long enough.

·
Vendor
3,553 Posts
I'm thinking hooking the crossmember would cause way more damage than the lower arms, because the metal is much thinner gauge. On a concours car, wrap a towel around the arm to prevent scratching the paint.

A good tow operator will have such things as a 4x4 to keep the chains away from a low spoiler or front bumper when loading.
+1....

It's a lot of weight, and LCA is the strongest/sturdiest hook point. I strap to the LCA's on 1st-gen Mustangs (with a soft towel wrapped around the straps) when I trailer.

·
Administrator
19,443 Posts
Most Mustangs aren't really all that low. In stock form they look like 4wd's next to something like a lowered Civic. If you look at Brian Conway's pictures above you can see the little slot for a "Ford" tow hook just behind where the end of the radiator support attaches to the frame rail. Speaking of the radiator support, as far as loading/towing is concerned, it's probably the worst and most delicate piece of structure you could hook to. IE, don't.

In my opinion, the big hooks are only for use around a live axle. Ford hooks in the proper frame slots are always my preference. The towing supply people don't call them "Ford" hooks for nothing. AKA "R" hooks.
In this picture the Ford hook is leftmost. Less a pain is the GM (T) hook in the center which is a good substitute. Most tow guys are lazy and prefer to just use the quickie rightmost J hook.

Trailer stuff can be different but mostly these hooks on tow trucks are attached to a fiber strap so if anything should touch the spoiler at all it would be that. Touching the plastic lower spoiler of a '69 should concern no one. Now if it starts having pressure applied to it, that's another story. Simple tow guy solution for low riders is a few select pieces of 2x6" boards. Those and some care will get about anything loaded, short of an airbagged car with a major air pressure failure. Rockers literally resting on the pavement.
Used to be tow drivers would just sling the big hooks under and hook to whatever. After a few thousand bent GM rear suspension and a few very expensive Euro cars with bent alloy suspension parts, most of them have gotten the message. But be aware, there are folks out there who literally started yesterday, got no training at all, and barely know how to drive a truck.

Funny part is, it't not so much you have to watch getting into the spoiler at the beginning, it's when you're all the way up. Check the angle in the picture. All I had to do was not bring it so far forward and it wouldn't be an issue. And yes that's me and mine (using the properly secured Ford hooks!). Jeez a few years ago now, I really need to get on the car. It has doors now!

·
Vendor
3,553 Posts
I'll comment that trailering with Ford, GM or J-hooks, in the proper holes intended, I've seen the holes get (best-case) egged-out, and (worst-case) rip an inch or two down the rail until it outruns to enough slack.

Probably no biggie for a short flatbed jaunt, but a different story when heading 700-1,000 miles to a show.

So for long hauls, I always try to find a way to safely secure straps. I feel it's the safest option.

And if anyone is truly worried about getting stranded on the side of the road and needing to flatbed, just tuck a spare strap in your trunk, and give it to the driver to use. He can wrap it around the LCA, and then "hook" to the strap.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Always ready to listen to a ' better idea '. Went looking for the ' hole in the bottom of the radiator support ' that woodchuck suggested and couldn't find one. The " D " hooks 1odAMillion is a great suggestion but where to get them ? ?
I was meaning what the others have said- R or Ford hooks apparently. Every tow driver should have them on a chain like pictured..The slots that takes the hook is on the bottom of the frame rail, either side.

·
Administrator
19,443 Posts
Transport is another issue. I refer again to Mr.Conway's nice pictures in post #6. In the first picture we see a car ready to go. Though it has a hook and chain on the car front and rear, we also see four wheel straps. Around here if you are going down the road in a loaded rollback without those extra straps we have state DOT guys that will pull you over and explain their use to you. I've been using such tire straps since BMW (for one) decided to do away with hook slots in the under chassis.

Come to think of it, I did once have to load a vintage Dodge via the big hooks and the rear axle. I took some shop rags and wrapped them around the axle tubes with a bit of tape. Then put the hooks at the rags. Though disabled, the car was like dust free concours, no way was I going the scratch the axle tubes or anything else under it. The car's owner was quite appreciative.

·
Registered
33,922 Posts
Ford didn't put one there but you can... LOL.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts