Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to plan some of the bigger budget items on the '68 Cougar XR-7 I bought in February. The current dilemma involves the C4 transmission. This car, BTW, is a never-molested 2-owner (not counting me) car that sat dormant in an attached garage for the past 25 years. It's a factory air, J-code.

Since it has not been fired up in 25 years, I'm assuming that the C4 will need a total rebuild including new torque converter. A local shop (with a good reputation and that I have used once before for a 4-speed toploader) gave me a sight-unseen estimate of $975.00 as a worst-case estimate and said it could be lower once they open the transmission and see what it looks like inside.

I also have the option of simply swapping the original transmission out in favor of the C4 I took out of my '69 Mustang convertible when I converted it to the TKO. I know that transmission is good, but the car will no longer be numbers-matching.

Right now the plan is to remove the transmission and give it to the tranny shop so they can open it up and give me a better estimate, but my question is this - At what price does it make sense to simply swap transmissions? I don't plan to do a concours restoration and do plan to sell the car next spring after the resto is completed.

Opinions, please....

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Seems like a lot of money just to rebuild a tranny. Does that include R&R? You could cut that in half if you pull it and put it back yourself. I had the tranny done in my old Ramcharger 4x4, after they pulled it, rebuilt it, and reinstalled it, it was only $720. And there is a lot more to pulling a tranny out of a 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
$975. is totally ridiculous! For a $35. kit and a $60. torque converter you can do it yourself.

http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/1dude.jpg If this guy can sucessfully rebuild a C-4, I know you can!

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you don't need it, I'd drop in the 69 C4. You can hold on to the other one, in case the new owner wants to change it back to a numbers matching car. That $975 can be spent in other areas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts