Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received this from a friend of mine who closed his mustang shop several years ago. He would throw all the old hardware into this cooler and then root through it when he needed some hard to find fastener. Ive had it for over 15 years and have decided its time to just get rid of it.
It goes against my nature to just dump it so im wondering if anyone has a better idea? This is not a pristine collection of hardware...think of your grandfather’s junk drawer in steroids... still, there may be some small hard to find jewels in there which someone may be looking for.
Any ideas? Its gotta weigh over #150 lbs or so...again, i gate throwing old stuff away...even if its just a bunch of bolts.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,444 Posts
Pitch it, unless you know you have some rare, boss only piece in it. The rest are reproduced. Take it to your local scrap yard, you'll get maybe 10cents a lb for it.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,574 Posts
Received this from a friend of mine who closed his mustang shop several years ago. He would throw all the old hardware into this cooler and then root through it when he needed some hard to find fastener. Ive had it for over 15 years and have decided its time to just get rid of it.
It goes against my nature to just dump it so im wondering if anyone has a better idea? This is not a pristine collection of hardware...think of your grandfather’s junk drawer in steroids... still, there may be some small hard to find jewels in there which someone may be looking for.
Any ideas? Its gotta weigh over #150 lbs or so...again, i gate throwing old stuff away...even if its just a bunch of bolts.
You sort them and buy a few nut and bolt bins to put them in.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
1,430 Posts
One man's trash is another man's treasure. I would say if you have to get rid of it, throw it in your local classifieds if it's cheap or free to do so. Due to the weight, shipping it would be a no go unless you split into small lots.

Cleaned out my dad's garage, my sister posted "free stuff" with a picture of random lumber, hardware, extra tools, parts, ya know, Garage clutter, in the front yard. Only took a few hours and it was pretty much all scooped up.

On the other hand, is this all factory Ford hardware? A mix of any make automotive hardware or generic store bulk hardware?

To someone it's worth something regardless of what it is, for example I recently paid $20 for a box of used factory hardware from someone who was tearing down a 289. Carb studs & nuts accessory bolts, valve covers, oil pan, I&E manifolds, pretty much everything but the head bolts.

Will come in handy when I get all the parts i'm searching for to assemble the D code I'm trying to piece together.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
8,356 Posts
When I bought my car it came with a extra few cans of nuts, bolts, fasteners and clips. It's proved invaluable to me over the years. I've also helped a few others out with some bits as well. If there's a local Mustang club, offer it up to one of their members before you dump it.

·
Registered
1966 Convertible 200/C4 Silver/Red
556 Posts
I save every original rusty nut, bolt, and broken part I take off of my car. I figure someday I'll have enough to make another car. Granted, it won't be in very good shape...

Reactions: Mike the old grump

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,444 Posts
We, as gearheads have a habit of saving stuff we really shouldn't. I've restored some of my hardware/fasteners and learned a valuable lesson.... it's cheaper to buy new. And fasteners are my pet peave. I can't stand cheap, incorrect fasteners in places it shouldn't go. My engine is 100% arp fasteners (I've got more in fasteners on the engine than I paid for the car) and imo it's worth it. You can trip over a container full of fasteners for years saving yourself a few bucks but in the end you have a piece that needs reconditioned or looks subpar.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a parts bin with them all separated. I find myself ordering reproduction 9 times out of 10 for the odd fastener I might need. However I keep them around since I believe it’s a requirement once you hit 50 to have a stash laying around.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Get some small flat rate boxes from the PO and see how many hand full of nuts and bolts it takes to fill the box. Send one to me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about this, cast an epoxy table top and dump them in the mix to make a cool shop or bbq table.
Of course, while sitting at it you would see that perfect clip you needed the week before...
THAT is a great idea...and hilarious! Because that’s exactly what would happen, seeing the clip im looking for, encapsulated in epoxy!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One man's trash is another man's treasure. I would say if you have to get rid of it, throw it in your local classifieds if it's cheap or free to do so. Due to the weight, shipping it would be a no go unless you split into small lots.

Cleaned out my dad's garage, my sister posted "free stuff" with a picture of random lumber, hardware, extra tools, parts, ya know, Garage clutter, in the front yard. Only took a few hours and it was pretty much all scooped up.

On the other hand, is this all factory Ford hardware? A mix of any make automotive hardware or generic store bulk hardware?

To someone it's worth something regardless of what it is, for example I recently paid $20 for a box of used factory hardware from someone who was tearing down a 289. Carb studs & nuts accessory bolts, valve covers, oil pan, I&E manifolds, pretty much everything but the head bolts.

Will come in handy when I get all the parts i'm searching for to assemble the D code I'm trying to piece together.
Not certain if everything is Ford factory hardware but the majority is. There’s probably enough to completely fill 10-15 Folgers cans but i just dont need it lying around anymore. I may have dumped out a few times to hunt for something but it was a pita to clean up afterwards....

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I have a hardware bin and set of drawers that I use for all my old hardware. Saves me time and money in the long run, vs the initial outlay of time to sort the hardware.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
1,430 Posts
Not certain if everything is Ford factory hardware but the majority is. There’s probably enough to completely fill 10-15 Folgers cans but i just dont need it lying around anymore. I may have dumped out a few times to hunt for something but it was a pita to clean up afterwards....
I'm not a fan of jars or organizers, I never can keep them organized or separate, my fingers rarely fit in the drawers or the compartments are too small to jam the longer bolts and studs into. And I hate dumping out and putting back. Briefly found dumping the jars onto an old cookie sheet aids in that.

I found an awesome solution while disposing some old storage equipment from a med room. In the maintenance shop of the medical center I work at we have these rolling bin drawer things I saved from throwing into the dumpster. They have heavy plastic drawers along with flat surfaces that pull out. They make searching for nuts and bolts etc much easier, just dig around in there, put what you need on the flat surface if you're looking for multiple pieces or washers nuts etc. Then just push the drawer closed once you've found it or need to look in another drawer. If I think of it Monday I'll add a picture.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I would consider selling small lots on EBay or offer them up on here. I would be interested in a few, although I'm currently looking for 289 headbolts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts