Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the proccess (very slowly) of taking the drivetrain and suspension out of a 70 Mach 1. There is nothing else on the baddly rusted shell, so I am going to send it to the scrap heap. My problem is that its not going to have any wheels or anything so I'm not sure a junkyard will take it. Anyone have suggestions for what I should do with it?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Scrapyards here in Knoxville takes them and pays $1.51 CWT

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Does it have a decent roof? I would cut it up yourself... you could sell the roof... I am sure someone out there needs one... and its a shame to see it go to waste.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say the roof and the A pillars are the only thing left on the car. Thats not a bad thought. What would you use to cut the car up? Sawzall?

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
I would use a sawzall... but it might be easier to use a cutting torch. I would cut it off at the fender, and the quarter panel, saving as much of it as possible.... that way when they go to put it on another car, it isnt as much of a hassle....

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
boss351's got the idea. Think about this: Knowing that the repop parts fit like crap, what is salvagable? Roof, cowl, door? sawzalls work wonders on these vehicles. Anything heavy (front or rear framerails) can be dealt with by fire (torch)...

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I cut my son's '65 coupe up with a combination of a sawzall and a metal cutting blade in my circular saw. The scrap metal place's rules were that it had to be in 3' or smaller sections. So we cut the entire thing up into 3' sections, threw it in the back of a pickup and got a wopping $5.93 for it. That was enough to pay for about 2 of the 30 or so sawzall blades I went through. That's ok, though, as I made about $4k off of parts after the insurance company paid me $7.5k for the car ::

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
If there is any good metal left, I would build a race car with tube frame. Scrapping sounds so final, remember, they don't make them anymore.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I hauled one off by temprarily installing the suspension with finger tight bolts where they were needed to halfway hold it on long enough to roll it out of the garage and onto a flatbed trailer. Once on the trailer I set dome cinder block and 2x6 boards down, jacked the car up, removed the suspension, and set the car down on the woods and blocks. I strapped it down good and hauled it off. At the scrap yard, they lifted it off the trailer with a fork lift. Got a whole $20.13 for the shell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts