Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That look perfect? I have a set of BFG Radial TA's on the latest acquisition that look brand new. They have to have a decade on them at least, maybe more. They are so stiff that a banking turn makes them bark. No compliance left at all. They would be great for a trailer queen though. Another down side is they are R14s. So I'm still back and forth on getting new rims too. These are Magnum 500's and look good, though not perfect. This car is going to be driven, so I definitely am going to get a new set of tires and I need to collect a spare rim as well. Someone stuck a doughnut in the back for a spare. I got a good laugh out of that, but that crap has to go. I suppose I could use them on my 69 KH Magstars for shop rollers. Then I could at least see what all that looks like on the vert as it gets rebuilt. Just thinking out loud.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
My last set of BFG were 10 years old and started to get cracks on the sidewalls even though they have a ton of tread left. Tread certainly isn't the only thing that matters. I replaced them with some Cooper Cobra radial GTs when I got my original Styled Steel wheels and I kept my old wheels and tires for rollers. They came in handy when I bought the third Mustang ! !

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Rollers. I keep a couple sets of tires mounted up for all those dead projects I keep dragging home. So much easier to slap them on and roll a car on/off a trailer rather than dragging it on flats! They're also great for when it's paint time- no worries of oversquirt on nice wheels n tires! lol

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Hmm- rollers or shop art- or if you want to start a good bonfire- tires work really well for that. (probably not near a city though as the black smoke can attract fire depts and fire marshalls etc.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Tell me you wouldn't actually start, or sit around, a fire of burning tires ?! Unless you're actively seeking some sort of cancer ...

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
My last set of BFG were 10 years old and started to get cracks on the sidewalls even though they have a ton of tread left. Tread certainly isn't the only thing that matters. I replaced them with some Cooper Cobra radial GTs when I got my original Styled Steel wheels and I kept my old wheels and tires for rollers. They came in handy when I bought the third Mustang ! !
I trying desperately to find old wheels and tires for rollers. anyone in the Salt Lake City area have any that I can acquire???

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
You could always make sandals for all your family and friends. I just saw these last Saturday at the Highland Lakes Air Museum in Burnet TX. They are Ho Chi Min Sandals made from tire tread that were traded to a US Marine for a bottle of rum in 1969 according to the label.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
You could always make sandals for all your family and friends. I just saw these last Saturday at the Highland Lakes Air Museum in Burnet TX. They are Ho Chi Min Sandals made from tire tread that were traded to a US Marine for a bottle of rum in 1969 according to the label.
SGT Peterson of the Green Berets made a pair of Ho Chi Minh sandals and traded them, a Montagnard crossbow, and a #1 address on Tu Do street for a case of bourbon in order to get a .50 cal machine gun. At least that's what Peterson told MSG Muldoon.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Toss the old tires.

Go to the pull a part, donut spares run $5, take little room and make great rollers.

Reactions: watto1
1 - 12 of 12 Posts