Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on what to do with the 20" radiator removed from a '67. I don't know if it was original to the car or not. Recycle it? Sell it?

This radiator was leaking again not too long after I spent $100 having it repaired at the bottom tank hose connection. The radiator shop wanted $300 additional to boil it out and re-core it. I didn't think dropping more money into it was a good idea, so I replaced it with an ACP reproduction. jp

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
depends, i would keep it in inventory and if you run across someone that needs a radiator, sell it to them for say $50. just let them know that it needs to be recorred.

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Check the numbers on the top tank. If they are correct, some Concours guy would pay more for it than you would get at a recycle yard.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Save it and put it on a shelf in your garage. When and if you sell the car someday some people will want originality so give it to them with the sale.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm beginning to think this may be a reproduction radiator. It doesn't have FoMoCo, or a date code stamped on the top tank, no part # on the folder-over strap, and no numbers on the side straps that I see. This is a Mutechen, NJ plant car. jp

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
So, giving away PRIZED information.

As much as people chatter about original radiators, I have sold 1 in 15+ years of putting them on ebay. Unless it is a Shelby or Cobra Jet or Boss type radiator, no one will pay much for them.

For recycling, as is, it is a dirty brass radiator, and (making up numbers, because it varies a lot geographically), it might bring 90 cents a pound due to the steel.

Now, take 5 minutes and a cold chisel, you can crack the solder joints, top and bottom, and the steel sides just peel off.

The radiator is now 14 ounces lights, and it brings $1.90 a pound. It is brass and copper.

Or take a sawzsall or hack saw, takes 2 minutes with my Ryobi, to cut off the top and bottom tanks.

Now the tanks bring $1.90 a pound, and the core brings $3 a pound.

This makes a huge difference in scrap value, and if you bring it as is, the guys in the back, after you get your 90 cents a pound, will cut it up and pocket the profits.

At swap meets, this is what I call GAS MONEY. Finding an old beat up heavy Chevy Truck radiator, that weighs 50 pounds with crud in it, obvious leaks or damage, selling for $20.

Buy it, toss it in the truck, 5 minutes or work, drop off at the scrap yard, for $110.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got around to taking the radiator apart. Got $12 for it from Alter Trading Corp. Could have gotten a couple of dollars more if I had removed the two auto-trans and drain fittings from the brass bottom tank. They'd only pay mixed scrap price for the bottom tank with the iron fittings on. They paid $1.35/lb for the brass and copper. The core was itemized as "Auto Radiators." jp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts