Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a buddy wants to buy me out of one of our project cars (we went halves) but instead of using $ he wants to trade me a 1974 Vette (350/auto) plus I throw in a couple grand to make it even. The vette is another project we have, its all complete and original, even driveable though it does need some engine work and the body is in primer.

So heres the deal. I have already sank a couple grand into the one project (68 coupe) and am wondering if I should just flip this vette as-is to get my $ back or take some time and finish the body and turn a profit? Alternately I'm considering trading it for a real car, preferably a 65-70 mustang.

Whats your vote guys, where should I go with this? It seems like a good opportunity for me to either get my $ back out of the project or make a win-win trade with someone, since I have very little interest in the vette.

Should I finish up the bodywork and paint it to try and increase the bargaining value of the car or just get the cash and reinvest that into my 69 Mach restoration?

Sigh ... decisions :)

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
It's real easy to over-estimate the true value of any project car. Also, you almost never get your money back on any improvement you make to a classic car. Instead of estimating the value of the Vette, sell it "as is" and split the money with your buddy. Otherwise you will probably come out on the short end of the stick and hold a grudge against your buddy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts