Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that this is rather infantile, but still it bugs me. Was behind my son in his 2003 Corvette night before last when he decided to show off and burn rubber. I was in our Dodge 3500 Diesel, so reciprocation was not an option. My problem is that my 68 J Code fastback won't lay rubber. It should! It is a 302 with 69 351W heads, performance cam, Performer 289 Intake, Holley 600 cfm 4V, with K-Code exhaust manifolds. Rearend is 3.80 posi. Tranny is a rebuilt AOD with stock torque converter (89 GT). I cannot chirp the tires for love nor money, let alone "peel out". I know-- at my age, I shouldn't be concerned. Anyway, what can I do? Shift Kit? Different torque converter? Or should I change to manual tranny? Thoughts?

·
Registered
251 Posts
you cant lay rubber even with a good power brake?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't know if you've read my recent posts, but i have a 68 J code FB as well. I was also unable to lay much rubber, just a chirp and another when shifts into second.
Seriptiously i found i had a vacum leak secondary to bad heater valve membrane. The distriubutor is vacum advance as you know. After fixing the vacum leak, and re-tuning the engine, i could barley keep traction. Unfortunately, the new heater valve also quit working and i now once again have a vacum leak and no power. As a temporary fix my vacum line has electrical tape at the end, and my other rear end is once again smoking!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Do you just floor it? I barely get a chirp when I do that in mine, but its a stock 289. Try holding the break down when you get on the gas, that should spin those tires pretty good.

Travis

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yea, i floor it. But in order to stop spining i have to let off the accelerator. I've got a 302 4v with aftermarket cam, and the J code heads from 68 are exceptional, (or so i've been told).

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
600 holley,AFR 165 heads, E 303 cam, and a edelbrock RPM intake. A set of shorty headers wouldn't hurt either.

If your looking for a cheaper way try recurving the distributor and a shift improving kit for the transmission.
The AOD and the lightning 2 second shifts may have alot to do with it.
I would still consider ditching those restrictive factory heads. This is why I'm a cleveland fan. My 1970 is close to stock and I can't hook up in 1st anywhere. Heck it even breaks them loose in 2nd without touching the clutch pedal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts