Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first what’s the difference between "A"&"K" coded cars, i believe its just the engine ie hipo or just 289? i ask because i recently came into possession of a 66 GT Convertible and i believe its K coded but the engine has all the hipo parts. other then that the car is all original. how detrimental to my cars worth if it in fact has A code parts on a K coded car? i also want to do minor performance fixes like stiffer suspension/sway bars and billet wheels or some thing, but i dont want to do any thing that cant bee undone to make the car 100% original again, any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
To start, the "A" or "K" would be in the vin.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I think you may have some things mixed up. As stated, the "A" or "K" would be in the VIN. The "A" signifies a 289 4V carbed engine. The "K" is the rarer solid lifter 4V 270+HP engine. If you have the "K" in the VIN, add worth to the value of your car. If you have an "A" car, but a "K" motor, sell the engine, return the car to factory original with a much more common 289 4V and pocket the substantial difference for that trip to Maui you've been thinking about. True "K" code engines (with all or most of the unique parts) are commanding high dollar.

·
Registered
254 Posts
A correct 'K' Code car has many special feature. The 271 hp motor with its special internal parts, specific fuel pump, dual point distributor, special harmonic balancer, special cast-iron exhaust mainfold, special fan, and large diameter alternator pulley. The cars also have a special 9" rear end, HD suspension and dual exhausts.

:peeping:

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
What is the fifth digit in the car's VIN? It could be a "T" originally a straight 6 cylinder, a "C" 2 barrel V8, an "A" a 4v V8, or a "K" the "hipo" 4v V8.

Having an "A" code engine in a "K" code car would drop the value significantly.

John Harvey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts