Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted the guy who left the note on my vending machine yesterday about his Mustang for sale. he wants $1800.00 or OBO.

After talking with him, I would think he is asking to much but then again, maybe not. It is a hardtop, he says it has a 302/C-4 doesn't know if it's correct, and wasn't close to it to get me the vin # over the phone. He says it runs but blows smoke, so rebuild is likely. He has the bucket seats out but the rest of the interior is intact, but also needs work. The body is straight with no rust. He wasn't certain what options it has, since it has been sitting close to 12 years.

So what do you think about a price if it's close to how he describes it? Any special options in 69 I should look out for? He does sound motivated to get it out, so he may come down a bit?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
See if it is the "Grande" model; if so, it will have the deluxe interior/console.
The 69's could have come with ft discs, power brakes, a/c, p/s, etc.

FYI, 428's were available in coupe's, not just FB's (not that there is really a chance of that type of find in this case but you never know)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Well I paid $400 for a basket case coupe with no motor or trans. It has netted $2500 and I am still looking at getting rid of the shell. As a parts car it still has value. If you want to do the restoration then you have to measure that in will power and patience.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I bought a 69 Grande for $1,000. The car was in very good shape. The car was for sale for $2,500 and she dropped it to $1,500 and no one wanted it for that price. I sold the car for $3,500. I had to redo the brake system and replace the radiator, plugs, wire and points. I drove the car for while and sold it. It woud be worth more inparts because no one seems to like this body style.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
well....look at the floor pans, trunk area and lower rear qtr panels for rust.....

vin number.....if it has a Q or an R in the fifth digit you have scored......second look in the engine bay...if you see heavy duty shock towers that is another clue...if you pop the trunk lid and see staggered shocks there is another clue.....

some coupes came with consoles, AC, PB, PS, deluxe interiors (aka grande package)

I would definitely offer her $1100 for a smoking engine mustang.
I wish I had pics of it, It would be a better factor in deciding the price.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
There's lots of '69 parts that aren't reproduced, and the ones that are generally cost twice that of a '66. Things to look for (besides the usual rust stuff). Headlight buckets broken/cracked, missing trim pieces from the dash/windsheild area, and the WAY overpriced dash pad. If the dash pad is in great shape, that by itself could make the car worth $1800.

For a point of reference, I bought my daughter's '69 coupe 2 years ago for $1500 (thanks again RagTop). The car was in need of some minor rust repairs, needed paint, seat covers, headliner, new master cylinder, and windows/locks fixed. I've done nothing to the engine except fix a couple oil leaks, tune-up and oil changes. The car is very fast, and with it's new paint job looks very good (except for the scratches in the paint where doofus son backed his '65 into it). The car is a '69 coupe with PS and Power Disk brakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts