Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about 1969 convertibles a lot lately. Assuming I was serious about getting one, what things should I look for or stay away from?

I'm familiar with the typical Mustang things, like checking for rust. I just want a weekend/occasional driver. My wife has always wanted a convertible and she would drive it also. It needs to be an automatic. I don't need a rare model, just something I can modify without guilt and make reliable. I have also never owned a convertible so I don't know any of the issues around that (if there are any).

Thanks for any help,
Kevin

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Too bad you weren't closer and you could come and look at and buy my car. ::

Some disagree, but I don't think A/C is a must if you get a convertible. Top down cruising even with a dark color interior is great even on the warmest of days. I'd say convertibles are more prone to have rusted out floors or inner rockers. Check that they are in good shape or have been replaced. Otherwise, the only real difference btw any other 69 Mustang is the top. A good power top with new padding would be a big plus. Check the bows and make sure they aren't rusted out or unrepairable if they do have some rust. They are pot metal so forget welding them. If the car needs a new pump or lift cylinders make sure you check the cost of new parts and negotiate. The trim around the boot area can be costly too. Good Luck,

James

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. My wife likes the light blue color, but yours looks too nice for my price. I'd like to stay under 10k. I don't mind if I have to do some work on it to get there.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,654 Posts
These comments relate to my experience with a '70 vert which is similar in many ways to a '69:

Look for a straight (no major accidents) body if you want the doors to close and the windows to seal;
Look to see that the shiny exterior trim is all there as virtually none of those pieces are available repro and very few are available used;
Much, but not all of the interior is available repro so make sure that it's all there;
If you end up looking at a '70 with the convenience package (the one with electric release seat back latches) make sure it all works as those parts are extremely rare if you can even find them at all;
Depending on condition of the top frame pieces and how nice you want to go (canvas vs vinyl), a new top can run anywhere from $1200 to $2000;
Get the tilt/tilt away steering column if you can.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Some disagree, but I don't think A/C is a must if you get a convertible. Top down cruising even with a dark color interior is great even on the warmest of days.
I definitely disagree. With the top down you fry and with the top up you bake when temps start approaching 90. The 60 MPH wind chill doesn't do much at those temps.

Taking summer day trips in a convertible may sound dreamy but forget about it on very hot days if the trip is longer than an hour if you don't have A/C.

I don't have a choice so I do it but I frequently reach my destination totally drained from being in the sun. It's hard to enjoy things when you feel like passing out for a few hours. If SWMBO is averse to sweating a bit then there really is no decision to make as you'll be getting a car with A/C.

The only other thing I can add is that white tops are impossible to keep white unless you keep the car in a garage. Mine just won't come clean no matter how hard or often I scrub it. I think the grain in the vinyl plays a part. My top tends to look a bit tan so that may be a better color top since the white ones turn that color anyway.

·
Registered
818 Posts
69 and 70 convertibles tend to have rust in these places:
Floors, Inner & outer rockers, Rear subframe extensions, trunk floors, front fender behind wheels, torque boxes and convertible reinforcing panels.

The windshield pillar weatherstrip is very expensive to replace (~112/side). Make sure that the brackets at the top of the windshield that the top attaches to are not cracked or broken.

Mike

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's rare it gets over 90 here in Washington, although it did a number of times the last few weeks. My 65 doesn't have air and I lived in So Cal with it for two summers. I wouldn't turn it down if it had air, but I think we could live without it.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts