Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to convert my 69 mach 1 to a T5 transmission. just wondering what i should be looking for to make the conversion as painless as possible. I'm building it from the ground up so the only thing thats on the car is the suspension that i rebuilt. I'm going to stick with the stock 351w engine . I'm thinking I'll get the conversion kit from CJ pony parts that doesn't come with the transmission and just get an old T5 somewhere cheaper.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
- A T5 isn't a good match for a '69 351W. Some people get away with it, but you run a good chance of grenading that transmission.

- You'll be hard pressed to find a useable, used T5 at a salvage yard or through Craigslist. Most are pretty well picked over. If you do find one, it will likely have a quarter million miles or more and require a rebuild. By the time you have it rebuilt, you might as well buy a new trans. (Unless you can rebuild it yourself.)

- A much better choice would be a TKO-600. Yeah, it's more expensive, but you won't have to worry about breaking the transmission; even if you decide to modify your 351W.

- If you want to live dangerously, you'll want a V8 T5 and not one from a V6. And if you do find a decent T5, you'll want to get the conversion kit from Modern Driveline. MD will sell you everything you need to include fasteners. You'll also get tech support.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I've got what I believe to be a stock T5 in my 1965 fastback with a 351w that has 450hp/tq. However I don't side step the clutch at 5000rpm nor do I neglect it a ton, but I don't really baby it either. It's kind of a have fun but don't be stupid type thing. Eventually I'd like to get a T5 from promotion performance. They're around $1600 and handle up 420hp and said I'd be fine as long as I didn't use slicks on my car. I'd love a 2.95 first gear ratio as first gear in my car now isn't the greatest

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
A world class T5 is fine with a 351 Windsor as long as you are not dropping the clutch and abusing the trans all the time. Otherwise you need a tko which is a lot more expensive.

Reactions: SWPruett

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
The only thing would disagree with Klutch is the V6 T5. The only issue with them is the input shaft is longer, you can either use the 95 & later bellhousing and convert to cable or swap input shafts.

As far as strength goes, they are every bit as strong as the 5.0 box. They are really rated at 300# not the 265# listed in the charts. I spoke with a Tremec engineer. The only difference is a slight variation in a couple gear ratios. I know 5th is slightly lower and I believe reverse and 3rd are very slightly different.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
- A T5 isn't a good match for a '69 351W. Some people get away with it, but you run a good chance of grenading that transmission.

I may be the exception to the rule, but I'm running one behind my '69 408W with no issues... (that noise was me knocking on wood just now!) Mine was from a '93 Cobra- supposedly a little stronger than other years I've heard, and slightly better gearing as well- but all stock. :pirate:

P

·
0 Posts
A world class T5 is fine with a 351 Windsor as long as you are not dropping the clutch and abusing the trans all the time. Otherwise you need a tko which is a lot more expensive.
Yep, don't drop it and you are fine. Best to fins an '85-up T5 from a V8 Mustang. In doing so, look at the tag. many people sell T5s and lie or just plain don't know what it was from originally. Without you knowing what to look for, the tag will be your friend.

·
6,968 Posts
Junkyard transmissions are going to be a crapshoot.

I've owned 2 cars with T5's and all I can say is longevity will depend on how you drive it. If you drive like an adult, a good T5 should work for you just fine.

My problem is sometimes I still drive like a kid.

Or...maybe that isn't a problem.

Phil

·
Registered
212 Posts
Get the one with the longer bell housing and shaft, it will line up better with the hole in the floor and allow for better driveline angles.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
If you're going with the T5, I would say to side step CJ Pony as they are just selling a kit. I would go to someone like Modern Driveline who are experts in this area and make the kits. Bruce will sell you exactly what you need and not what you don't need as well as giving expert advise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts