Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to take out the gas tank to fix the leak that suddenly appeared two days ago. I tried to get the fuel sending unit out (source of the leak) without removing the tank but it's stuck badly so I'm going to pull the tank to get a better angle of attack.

I don't have time to order the proper seal for when it's put back in. Any recommendations for what can be used as a trunk/gas tank seal? Unfortunately, the only auto store within walking distance is Pep Boys.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I used 1 inch wide wheather strip foam for my tank. I bought it at the local building supply store. Its sticky on one side. Stick it to the tank and install.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
Pep Boys carries strip caulking. That is about as close as you will get to the original "rope caulk" without special ordering.

The foam gasket mentioned would also work nicely.

Basically, you just want something that will seal without hardening.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
My local Pep Boys had a 3M body sealer in a cartridge that worked just fine. It's white, however if appearance is an issue.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
My local Pep Boys had a 3M body sealer in a cartridge that worked just fine. It's white, however if appearance is an issue.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I went to the hardware store and bought some rope caulk, it seemed to work fine and was cheap.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I used the same type product RTM suggests. Worked like a charm and was only a few dollars for the roll.

·
Registered
21,071 Posts
Dave, I used electrical dum-dum, used for sealing service hubs ect. You can get the stuff just about any place, local hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, ect.

Just go the electrical deptartment and ask for it. the stuff works great......and best of all. it's cheap!

Too bad we don't live closer, I'd give you some. BTW, we gotta get together soon.

·
Registered
327 Posts
And be careful when handling the tank. I cut myself on the seam where the two parts fit together. Had to get a tetanus 3 days later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts