Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brand new tires have a couple of brown stains on the white walls I'd like to remove. What's a safe way to get them clean?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hopefully the stains are external and will clean up with Bleche-Wite and a scrub sponge.. Problem may be "bleed through" of the black rubber beneath. It causes "browning" of the white wall. The transition away from whitewall tires have resulted in many historic brand abandoning them, leaving off-shore tiremakers for manufacture. Unfortunately they do not make them the same way and the bleed through occurs.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
^^^^This exactly. It's a known problem admitted to me by BFG. Alas, their "offer" for replacement was not much of an offer, basically a FU. I get the SOS pads and scrub brushes out every couple of months to temporarily get rid of the brownness. YMMV

John

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Locking hubs

·
Registered
257 Posts
I gave up on the bleed through stains on my TigerPaw whitewalls and painted them. About 500 miles so far and they still look good. I haven't scrubbed the tires yet, so I don't how durable it will be.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
The SOS pad does work well as does Comet/Ajax bathtub cleaner.

Bleche White used to work when it was made by Westleys but is lacking ever since the Black Magic name went on the bottle.

Meguiars Wheel/Tire cleaner works great on whitewall or white letter tires.

This is what I use and I always make sure the wheels/tires are wet first, and don't really use it on the wheels, just use car soap for them.

To finish them up. I use Aerospace 303 or Aero Cosmetics Rubber Care.

Liquid Bottle Fluid Drink Font

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dab a rag with lacquer thinner and no scrubbing involved. Just a light wiping and the dirty white turns bright. Works on my BFG T/A's. I also use Bleche White for light clean up.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My brand new tires have a couple of brown stains on the white walls I'd like to remove. What's a safe way to get them clean? View attachment 809575
I used to use Ajax or comet cleanser with a natural soft bristled brush (the kind with a wood handle).
Soak the brush, sprinkle the cleanser on the bristles and scrub the wetted tire. Cleans very well without scratching the rubber

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the old days I used to use dishwashing liquid mixed with some warm water and use a cracked of piece of stone from a center-block and press and scrape the dirt out of the white raised letters. They would be so white afterwards and the soapy water would keep the stone and letters lubricated enough that it wouldn’t mess up the paint on the letters. Did that for years.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well neither comet cleanser or lacquer thinner did anything. Also comet cleanser made a damn mess and gets in every groove of the tire. I would not recommend it. I'll try bleche-wite but I'm not hopeful.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Well neither comet cleanser are liquor thinner did anything. Also comet cleanser made a damn mess and gets in every grove of the tire. I would not recommend it. I'll try bleche-wite but I'm not hopeful.
Did you try the SOS pads?

John

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you try the SOS pads?

John
No. I just tried what I had on hand. But I'm starting to think this is bleed through and not a stain that can be removed. The white areas look thin in a few places so I'm not keen on using an abrasive like sos. I'll pick up some bleche-wite on my way home and try that.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
I've heard people who own early 20th century cars, like a Duesenberg, run nitrogen in their tires to keep those massive whitewalls from discoloring. Not sure if it's valid or a myth, but this discussion has me wondering. And it would be the only reason to run nitrogen in street tires.

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,164 Posts
Yes I always used Comet or Bon Ami with bleach and a stiff brush. Never had any issues with removing it with a hose.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
SOS pads and old fashioned elbow grease (not the product I found on the internet)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts