Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull off my heads and do some work on them. What's the best cleaner to use to break down the carbon build up I'm sure I'll see?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I bring the pistons to tdc and use a wire wheel on a drill. Dont press too hard and you will do fine.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have herd of people using oven cleaner. I have never done it, but people say it works well.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Wire wheel on a drill works excellent and it shines em up real purdy like

John

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Bring the motor up to about 2500 RPM and slowly dribble 6-8 ounces of water into the carburetor...

G

·
0 Posts
...or you could just do what I did, decide to do some head work, then once you have the heads off, decide "what the hey, why not just go ahead and get some forged pistons...and bore it over a little..and hey, why not throw in a new cam and some purdy new roller rockers..." =)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Shaun,

A wire wheel will work fine. We use a scotch brite pad on an air tool at work, if you have access to air tools that works very well. If you have any questions send me an email or call me.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
A quick note.....if any carbon is left...it would probably have sharp edges after mechanical cleaning (wire bruching etc.).

Carbon deposits already promote very hot spots (an invitation to pinging)....if it has sharp edges, even more so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts