Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am swapping my noisy diff from my car with one from my buddy's parts car (same year and ratio). The old gear lube is fairly thick and black and I would like to get it good and clean before installing and adding the synthetic lube. What is best to use for cleaning the old lube? I have heard not to use a solvent as it will leave deposits that could damage the gears. It was also suggested that I use transmission fluid to clean it as it is fairly thin and viscous, but I am not sure how well it will clean the old lube. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I hosed mine with brake cleaner when I rebuilt it. When reinstalled I loaded it with Red Line Gear lube. Guess my gears will be damaged...

But then again when you talk about lubricants experts are under every tree.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is very true...and the reason I am looking for more opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Two things would come to my mind, one of them being brake cleaner, as mentioned, but when I was pondering that, I threw it out as it's a solvent and you'll never get it all out.

I'd use something petroleum based, like WD40. I wouldn't bother with ATF; I don't think its "solvent-like crap removal properties" shall we say, are strong enough to do jack-diddly.

OTOH, while I wouldn't use brake cleaner, I doubt it'd hurt much, unless it got in the "posi" clutches, as they are desgined to be in/around oil, I don't think they'ed take kindly to the prescence of a solvent, and clutch material is very porus and absorbent usually.

But then, what do I know? After all, I'm an "'expert' under a tree"
--Kyle

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
You could always use diesel fuel, it works pretty well as a parts cleaner and is petroleum based. I have also used mineral spirits and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldn't put any thing in except the recommended oil/specialy if you have a limited slip.I don't recommend useing synthetic oil were older petroleum based was used they don't mix.There is only one way to clean it right,and while your at it you can give it a good inspection.Other than that change the oil ,run it a hundred, change it again.If you have limited slip don't forget a bottle of FORD differencal friction modifier for the clutch plates of they will chatter. Good Luck :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The clutches could be the reason for no solvents. Possibly the solvents could damage them or the glues.

I've got a peg leg so no clutches.
Hopefully I'm safe....

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
The only way to get it clean is to remove the housing from the car and wash it. I cleaned mine with kerosene and then took it to the local car wash and washed it using their engine degreaser and the high pressure wash. I did this last thing in the evening and when I went out the next morning to install the rear end, it already had surface rust on the inside, therefore I was pretty sure I got it clean.

Dan

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Carb cleaner evaporates completely and leaves no residue. Or you could just dunk the entire thing into a bucket of lacquer thinner. Blow the lacquer thinner out of the nooks and crannies with compressed air. Again, the lacquer thinner will evaporate completely with no residue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts