Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally hit the the buy button on a leak down tester. I've been wanting one for about 5 years now and wish I would have bought it 5 years ago. From buying tractors, old cars/trucks, etc. I sure could have used it quite a few times. Some day I have nothing better to do I might use it for the heck of it on all my old stuff.

So what tool are you putting off buying or did you eventually buy after putting it off for some time?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I put off buying a Plasma Cutter for too long. By the time they really dropped in price, I had already used cutoff wheels and body saws to cut out shock towers, rusty floor boards etc etc. Now I only occasionally use it on farm equipment or cutting patch panels for projects.
Now I really wish I had a lathe/milling machine......

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
car/garage lift

If i win the lottery there is a lot of stuff on my wish list. Plasma cutter (that will cut maybe an inch or so thick), nice large welder (have a little mig- but would love a BIG mig)- hmmm
Of course I would then want a fast back (if I did win a lottery then for sure a shelby) Ahh oh well- gotta be happy with what I have. but nice to dream.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Been putting off buying a welder forever because I just haven't found room in the budget.

Recently bought a set of interior trim removal tools. These things are awesome. Cheap at Harbor Freight and I wish I had had them for the last 25 years.

What year is your mustang Blake? I’m guessing that set works quite well? I was actually looking for something similar a few weeks ago

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
A lift.

Getting older, getting down under cars is starting to suck, especially my C10, it's only inches off the ground. Even on ramps just an oil change sucks.

28 year old me could get down and under a car in seconds. 38 year old me has to "think about how to get down there and back up without hurting myself" :lol:

That means building a new garage. Supposed to break ground on a 30x50 shop mid July. Contractor in place. Working on getting permits and some utilities relocated now.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been saying for the past couple years I wish I knew how to weld.

Would also like to have a lift but my ceilings aren't high enough.

Plasma cutter sure would be nice to have too.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Lift? Hah.
I just need a new floor jack.
Interior tools? Hah.
Been using bottle openers and wooden spoons and the like...
Welder? Hah.
My neighbor welds, so he's my go-to. If he needs something heavy moved, I'm just next door.
I would LOVE a blasting cabinet, but I'm putting off buying a LOT of things that would make my life easier.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There's a lot of tools that I don't have so I usually just end up buying them as I need them. Just this week I picked up some raceramp cribs, an engine hoist, an engine stand, timing light and a vacuum meter.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Ok, this talk of a lift has gotten me to thinking: YES I want one, prefer 4 post but would love to just have a 2 post.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Small format waterjet. :grin2: I don't have the room for a lift or a bigger plasma table. One thing I've wanted for a while and got not too long ago was a belt grinder attachment for the bench grinder. I couldn't find a Burr King used at a reasonable price but the Multitool bolt on is great. I just need a 1hp grinder now as the HF 1/2 hp is a bit too small.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I put off buying a Plasma Cutter for too long. By the time they really dropped in price, I had already used cutoff wheels and body saws to cut out shock towers, rusty floor boards etc etc. Now I only occasionally use it on farm equipment or cutting patch panels for projects.
Now I really wish I had a lathe/milling machine......
I too got one a couple of months ago. Haven't used it yet, but getting ready to cut off part of a quarter panel on the '66 that got munched on by a wheel. :frown2: I have farm stuff too on my 70 acres. Don't plant anymore but keep it cut. >:)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
A lift.

Getting older, getting down under cars is starting to suck, especially my C10, it's only inches off the ground. Even on ramps just an oil change sucks.

28 year old me could get down and under a car in seconds. 38 year old me has to "think about how to get down there and back up without hurting myself" :lol:

That means building a new garage. Supposed to break ground on a 30x50 shop mid July. Contractor in place. Working on getting permits and some utilities relocated now.
Ohhhh. Congratulations!!! Wear knee pads....always knee pads! Wait until you are a broken down 63 year old fart :frown2: It doesn't get any easier...lol :grin2: Knee surgery a couple of months ago and another neck surgery, coming up this Tuesday. Better be the last dang one too. :surprise: Being retired is much harder than I thought it would be...working too hard at retirement...lol >:)

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Ohhhh. Congratulations!!! Wear knee pads....always knee pads! Wait until you are a broken down 63 year old fart :frown2: It doesn't get any easier...lol :grin2: Knee surgery a couple of months ago and another neck surgery, coming up this Tuesday. Better be the last dang one too. :surprise: Being retired is much harder than I thought it would be...working too hard at retirement...lol >:)
I use those large foam mats often. Good luck with the surgeries!

I'm excited. The contractor is only doing the grading/foundation/floor. I'll take over the building part, so it won't be a dryed in shell until probably October. I'll try to complete all the wiring and finishes over the winter. My current garage is 22x24 and with all my crap I can only get the Mustang in there. There will be an upstairs storage area as well.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
A lift.

That means building a new garage. Supposed to break ground on a 30x50 shop mid July. Contractor in place. Working on getting permits and some utilities relocated now.​
If you are getting a lift, you will need as a minimum 12 ft walls. My shop is 32X48, mainly to take advantage of lumber dimensions, and avoid waste.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts