Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason for asking is it's BEEN A MONTH! :: They were getting ready to change Murphy's Law and put it in my name for a while and the heat in my desert was a big part of the headache.
Anyway, for a while I was going to include an alternator on the list along with an EGR, IAC, and EEC-IV (It's been my SVO) The floor jack and stands were must haves but I couldn't fit my compressor and air tools so I HAD to leave them off the list. :(
I really had to slug it out to get my list back down to the usual tools, the spare tire, some hoses and clamps, light bulbs for signals etc. and electrical wire and tape. I hope it stays that way for a while.
How about you guys?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Is this a cross country trip or are we talking about day-to-day driving? If I'm going further than, say, 3 hours from home, I carry a socket set, a set of wrenches, and a set of screw drivers. Otherwise, I carry a cell phone.

Once the car has been gone through, it shouldn't require hauling all that weight around. I drive mine every day of the year. Yesterday I put close to 400 miles on it in the 100+ degree weather (had to make a trip from Sacramento to Hayward and back). I did carry a screw driver, because I thought I was going to need it when I got to the store where I had to fix a cash register. As it was, I didn't need it and the screw driver was just extra weight. ::

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the car hadn't gotten much use over the winter and spring and didn't get its usual going through before the New Year. For a while it was nothing but electrical chingassos, like a neutral safety switch going bad then having to hunt a bad ground that took out the turn signals and back up lights.
When it started getting hot it was water hoses which usually aren't too bad if you're willing to remove the throttle body and intake to get to the ones going into the oil filter extension, which I wasn't. (My dumb ass) ::
THEN, having beaten all the gremlins my doofessness manifested itself again when I got on it too hard in my exhuberance and "burned" the O-2 sensor...running so rich limping home that I think 5 MPG might have been a lot. That was the easiest fix really.
I think the real cause of my rant was the heat. Our index hit 136 a week or ten days ago when I was in the midst of all this. I think the extra weight of a screwdriver might have been a lttle much given the extra distance we had to drive due to the heat expansion on the roads :D...You're right though, the cell phone is essential, huh?

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I guess most important tool I carry is 3 A card and my mechanics number both at the shop and home and cell.

After my last exp on summer Nor cal cruise I carry small set of Craftsman tools, couple cans of run flat, some duct tape and bailing wire, oh yea jumper cables.

Mark

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
After a breakdown outside of Chattanooga on a Memorial Day Weekend, by all means, cell phone, AAA extended mileage card, ATM, toilet paper, paper towels, wetwipes, handcleaner and a couple of power candy bars! Was glad I had ALL of the above!! :: As Carl Malden said, in the American Express ad, don't leave home without them! :: Don't need AE, though! ::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts