Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '65 2+2 has a '68 302 in front of the four speed. Where did the four speed come from and what type is it? That's what I want to know so I can replace the JUNK shifter that's coupled to it currently.
I took these numbers off the transmission itself (they were cast into the body):C8AR 7006-D W 1 H-5
These numbers were on a plate attached to the transmission: RUGE3 011116
Does anyone know enough about transmissions to be able to identify mine (and therefore help me decide what type of shifter will fit)?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
RUG-E3 is a wide ratio toploader from a 69 Mustang or Cougar. Order a Hurst Competition shifter and linkage kit from Jegs, Summit, or Dan Williams

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doesn't a toploader have the shifter coming out the top of the transmission? My linkage is on the side. Am I stupid for asking this or just inexperienced?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Not stupid....
Later model overdrive transmissions resembled the old toploader... Some O.D.trannys had the internal rail (SROD single rail overdrive). The overdrive transmissions can be identified by having an aluminum case.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Like Art said definitely not stupid! We're all learning here! I wanted to add the toploader moniker comes from the trans having a cover on the top so the guts can be removed from the top. The Ford '60's through early '70's toploader 4 spds had their shifters mounted externally on the side of the trans' tail shaft housing with external shift rods (three rods if I remember correctly). I seem to recall the Mustang/Falcons trans had a different tail shaft housing from the Fairlaine/Torinos due to the different location of the shifter.

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts