Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, i have been seeing some "cut pile" options over the standard loop carpeting and I am wondering what looks the cleanest. Do any of you have pic of what cut-pile looks like in terms of what is available for a 66 fastback without going custom?
Thick floor carpeting is not pretty honestly (on humans too....lol), but I don't want to go resto-mod if i don't have to.

·
Dimples
5,379 Posts
I personally prefer the factory loop. The cut pile can get matted down easier and look worn out faster. Plus, it’s more of a newer car thing. The factory style seems like an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” kind of thing to me.

Just my opinion of course. At the end of the day, nice clean carpet of either style is going to look good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair point ok.

Next question: carpeting with jute baking or “mass” I think they call it , or bare carpeting and lay down dynamat?

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
Dynamat isn't very thick, so you can have your cake and it it too, if you like. Put that or a similar less expensive product down, then use the traditional jute-backed or the mass-backed and enjoy all the benefits.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I hate the look of loopy carpet, the backing is almost always visible. After 20 years the cut pile in my 68 convertible still looks new.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Fair point ok.

Next question: carpeting with jute baking or “mass” I think they call it , or bare carpeting and lay down dynamat?
Dynamat isn't very thick, so you can have your cake and it it too, if you like. Put that or a similar less expensive product down, then use the traditional jute-backed or the mass-backed and enjoy all the benefits.
Just another thought, if you opt to source your own jute style padded underlayment from home depot or??? instead of going with the backed stuff from the carpet vendor. And, you cover the entire floorpan/tunnel rather than sticking to the areas that were padded initially, it can turn out looking like a lumpy worn out sweater. You can lose the crisp definition of the press molded carpet.

Just a thought. take it for what you want.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
So this is in the "concours" section. As such, the answer is loop. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts