Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about finished with my Painless install (very easy and great quality)
Is there a special high temp tape you use to wrap the wires in or just plain old electrical tape? I don't want to go the painless power braid way as its is over $200.
Thanks

·
Registered
35,522 Posts
Yeah, wiring harness tape. Don't use electrical tape, it's too thick and the first warm day there will be tape glue everywhere. Glazier/Nolan calls wiring harness tape G09338.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am about finished with my Painless install (very easy and great quality)
Is there a special high temp tape you use to wrap the wires in or just plain old electrical tape? I don't want to go the painless power braid way as its is over $200.
Thanks

Take a look at these guys...

Automotive Wire Terminals - Battery Cable & Electrical Supplies

Did you consider any other wiring suppliers before you went to painless? Like american autowire? Just curious. Also - are you using the original steering column and did that pose any issues? I am tired of my old harness and I am doing the research right now - painless is in the running for sure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link, I really didn't research as much as i should have I think. Painless is the most expensive out of the bunch (around $700) But i am glad i went with them. I am a wire novice (lucky to plug in a lamp haha)
The install was very easy, most everything is pre-terminated and ready to hook straight in to stock components. Including the stock ignition and turn signal switches. (yes i am keeping stock steering wheel).
You will need to keep a few switches off your old wiring. like your ignition connector, courtesy light connector. Above all I think their tech support is second to none. They have a forum and i posted some questions that where immediately answered by the designer and creator of my 70 wire harness.
Each wire is numbered and labeled with info telling you where the wire goes. (ie #972 left headlight) the print this on each wire and repeat it about every 8 inches or so.
here is a link to the install instructions so you can see how precise they cover the install with pictures.
http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/20122.pdf
If i had to do it again i would have researched more but probably still went with the painless. any more ?? PM me would be glad to help

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a grocery list of what was needed? including under dash?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did any of you consider buying the original harness's new? Or having yours reworked?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't because I'm not taking it back 100% factory.
My wires were hacked and I am surprised I didn't have a fire after looking at them after removing them. There were countless cuts and nicks and a few wires were melted together.
I priced wiring one back together at cj pony parts and it was almost double to replace entire car Vs. the Painless

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Do you have a grocery list of what was needed? including under dash?
If IRC, it was 12' of 3/4" and 10' of 1/2" (engine bay only) and black zip ties and heat tape from Harbor Frieght. Could have used a little more 1/2". :mad:

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,461 Posts
I never liked the look of wrapped wires that much, but I do sometimes use the wire wrap non-adhesive tape. A problem with it is you have to secure at least one end unless you knit it back into itself. (Probably the "correct" way) If you use a bit of electrical tape it will be fine unless the sticky gives out and the whole mess unravels. I use stretch tape, for example 3M 2242. Put it on and stretch it out as you apply it and it only sticks to itself as it "relaxes". It won't come loose. If you want it back off you pretty much have to slide it off with a razor blade.
I tend more to use convoluted tubing. Rubber tape (or stretch tape) is ideal to secure that stuff where it needs. Nashua (for one)makes a nice silicone stretch tape which is more heat resistant but quite a bit pricier.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If IRC, it was 12' of 3/4" and 10' of 1/2" (engine bay only) and black zip ties and heat tape from Harbor Frieght. Could have used a little more 1/2". :mad:
I may do this. do you have an item number for the heat tape? i search HF but didnt find any.

What did you do with single wires when the break out? use the heat tape?
Still holding up and looking good?
Thanks everyone for the excellent ideas.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you go with the braided split loom, McMasters-Carr has some nice stuff. There is a guy on E-Bay that sells some that is almost as good a quality. I have him saved in my favorite sellers if you want to know.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used the side entry sleeving from Cable Organizer Specialty Braided Sleevings – Expandable Protection for Cables. I also bought (among other things) harness wrap tape from Ford Fuel Injection Ford Fuel Injection. I picked up my Painless Harness from a guy that had sold his project car and still had a new harness he had bought for it. At the time Painless was the only source for a 65-66 specific aftermarket harness. Overall it is a good quality piece. I would have liked to have a wiring diagram for it though. American Autowire now has harnesses for 64-69 Mustangs. I checked out their 67-68 harness at Carlisle a couple of years ago. It also appears to be a quality piece. They seem to have some nice extras in their harness that would bear investigation if anyone is still shopping for a harness. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you go with the braided split loom, McMasters-Carr has some nice stuff. There is a guy on E-Bay that sells some that is almost as good a quality. I have him saved in my favorite sellers if you want to know.
Check out braided split loom on ebay. I bought what I needed to do my motor about 2 months ago. Bought sizes from 1/4 to 3/4" and it ran from typically 40-1.00/foot

Dunno if this is the same type of braided loom and if this is the "guy on ebay" or not but I recently bought original style asphalt coated cloth looms from him as I want to keep things looking as original as possible in my '68. Maybe you may want the same look to cover the Painless wiring Fordman9870? Here is a link to what he currently has listed and below is what I got from him:

bilcam2010 items - Get great deals on loom, eBay Motors items on eBay.com!

8 linear feet of 1/4" for $6.95
5 linear feet of 1/2" for $6.90
4 linear feet of 3/4" for $6.85
All shipped from TX to CA for $7.95 and delivered in 2 days

Best of luck!

Oscar

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

is F6 techflex the same braided loom as you were talking about? it looks identical to the painless stuff?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm in a similar boat except I'm installing the American Autowire kit in my 67.

Is the braided split loom from McMaster you guys are talking about this? 1459T13 That part number is for the 1/2".

Also this is the first time I've heard of heat tape. Is it adhesive or not? Do you wrap it around the loom and then use a heat gun to shrink it down on the bundle?

As far as breaking wires off from the bundle do you like using the heat tape, stretchy tape or wire harness tape?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
i have used the non-stick tape like the factory used with a tiny wire tye at the end. i prefer the black plastic flex condiut cause it will allow air to circulate if you dont cram it full. i do not use gangsta rap !

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I just purchased some F6 Techflex from a bulk dealer from ebay. I also have a sample of The power braid. As far as I am concerned i really cant tell the difference between the two. Maybe the power braid might be a tad thicker but I had to look at the two for 5 minutes before i came to this decision.
I used the contents of the PB kit as my guide and Ordered what i needed. And my cost was $59. The Orange install tool can be found for about $3-5 each NOT $68 like most places wanted for the kit.
I plan to use stretch tape on the breaks of the F6.
I looked up your part number and it does look like the F6 stuff.
The operating temperature looks identical to the F6. IT can be purchased cheaper than this.
Want links?
PM Me

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I always used friction tape. I bought some last summer at Lowes in a three pack. It won't stretch and goo out like electrical tape does.

John

1 - 20 of 34 Posts