Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, what types of welder is everyone using for the major sheet metal such as floor pans and frame rails. I’m doing the full one piece floor pan And the one piece apron and frame rails. I’ve never done any serious body word like this at all any advice on what type of welder to use or any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,061 Posts
Can’t go wrong with either a Lincoln or Miller.

I picked up a new in box Lincoln 180/ 230 for either $200 or $300, I can’t remember, but I’d have been happy with a 115 Hobart.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can’t go wrong with either a Lincoln or Miller.

I picked up a new in box Lincoln 180/ 230 for either $200 or $300, I can’t remember, but I’d have been happy with a 115 Hobart.
awesome! What type of welders that?

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Did my one piece floor, trunk floor and firewall with a Lincoln 140 mig welder

·
Registered
688 Posts
The above are Mig Welders. 110Volt units are ok but if you can get a 220Volt unit would be better. Some units can run on either voltage. Also, get a unit that can run .023 to .035 wire and have the option to run flux core or gas shielded. I have a Hobart 210MVP I picked up at Tractor Supply for $800. It does all the above. It can also be equipped with an aluminum spoil gun if I ever want to weld aluminum which some vehicle body panels are made of.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,789 Posts
Agree with Iz. One of my best friends just bought NT Klutch a few months ago. It’s a MiG/Tig combo. It’s pretty nice as well.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I have a Millermatic 215 at home and use a Millermatic 211 at work. Both pretty much fully self adjusting, point and weld although I tend to fiddle with the settings. Overkill if your only doing sheet metal.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have managed the entire car so far with an el-cheapo Harbor Freight Chicago Electric Mig 151 that I bought about a decade ago for around $200. running on 220V it puts down a decent bead on anything up to 1/4"(never tried running it on 110v). Like all cheap welders, it takes a bit of practice to get pretty welds out of it...but it does the job just fine. For bench fabrication though I use my TIG. I would love to replace the MIG with a better quality unit...but its just not in the budget right now.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have a Millermatic 215 at home and use a Millermatic 211 at work. Both pretty much fully self adjusting, point and weld although I tend to fiddle with the settings. Overkill if your only doing sheet metal.

I also have a 211. LOVE it. If you are ever doing anything thicker than sheet metal it is nice to have the 230vac option.

·
Registered
35,936 Posts
Lincoln 140 w/.023 wire for sheet metal. I've also been known to play with gas at times, too....

·
Registered
67 mustang fastback, 70 351w t10 4 speed,64 falcon,170 3 on the tree.
38 Posts
Hobart Handler, has a little age on but hasn't failed me yet, run 0.35 wire, with the sheilding gas.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Hobart handler 140 .023 wire
So the last time I used my welder was to repair the broken exhaust pipe on my yard tractor. I had enough of said .023 wire to get half way around the pipe ,now problemo I had a brand new roll in the box on the cart pick it up to put it in ,Sigh. Yup .025 and only .023 tips

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Lincoln 140 w/.023 wire for sheet metal. I've also been known to play with gas at times, too....
I have been told by a friend of mine that you can run flux-core wire in a MIG with 75/25 shielding gas and it helps the resulting weld, pushing out more contaminants and the flux just peels off, ever try it by chance? I plan on buying a 2lb spool of flux to play with the idea

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Eastwood Mig 135. Nice welder, same warranty and duty cycle as the Miller and Lincoln, but on sale for $299 currently.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I used to have an Italian made welder that worked well but it was a 110v only and a transformer machine. I stopped by Harbor Freight during the sidewalk sale early this year and they had a virtually like new Titanium 170 there. Out the door was like $120 because it was sunday. After using it a bit I decided to sell my Italian one because the HF was so much better of a unit.

Any decent 110v mig welder will do body work. You are basically doing thousands of tack welds. Duty cycle doesn't matter which is all those youtube guys seem to care about. Lincoln, Hobart,HTC the Klutch machines sold at northern and any of the machines that Harbor Freight sells will do what you need just fine, just stay away from the unknown welders on Amazon and Aliexpress and Banggood
I really really prefer the newer inverter machines over the old transformer machines as they have a nicer arc especially for body work. I learned to mig weld on a miller box with a cobramatic feeder and any welder today is lightyears better than that steaming pile of crap. And I am still today way out of practice.

Like I said no issues with the Titanium 170 but... If I were buying a machine in that range and paying sticker price I would have gone for the Klutch at Northern Tool as it is actually cheaper than the HF unit but it does not have the inductance control which can help on thin sheet metal but you can live without it. I would buy the version that can do TIG because I have a want and need for TIG at home.

·
Super Moderator
10,061 Posts
1 - 20 of 81 Posts