Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can see the motivation for a fake....time to see the dash vin plate....likely can't fake that....or order it from Marti

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So that data plate is fake?
The rivets seem unmolested, when I go back to see it, I will snap more pics, suposedly "somebody" from the states is coming to inspect and validate it, I will gladly keep everyone posted on the outcome and inform who did te inspection.

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
So that data plate is fake?
Why not? There have been art and antique forgers and counterfeiters throughout history. We only ever learn of those that get caught. But how many aren't caught and get away with it? How hard could it be? Even partially devalued by a restoration that would make some amount of evidence of originality "disappear", we are still talking a considerable sum of money if ever sold as the original Bullitt movie car it is purported to be. Why I said previously this restoration, apparently in progress, may have been "cleverly planned". This whole story could come apart like a club sandwich without toothpicks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I agree....so I say let's see the dash vin. That's harder to fake..especially the black decorative border...I can understand having a new data tag and scuffing it to remove the newness.
I have seen many a VINs on mustangs in 40 years and this....is interesting.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I agree....so I say let's see the dash vin. That's harder to fake..especially the black decorative border...I can understand having a new data tag and scuffing it to remove the newness.
I have seen many a VINs on mustangs in 40 years and this....is interesting.
Isn't the 1st picture the dash vin?

Allen

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Isn't the 1st picture the dash vin?
Supposedly, I guess. However it does not look like the numbers are etched finely like on my original 68' dash vin plate. Those look stamped...maybe that's how they did it at that factory though, mine's Metuchen. Mine also has very finely printed ford logo's on each end, something obviously "destroyed" (again, how convenient) in that first pic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The rivets seem unmolested, when I go back to see it, I will snap more pics, suposedly "somebody" from the states is coming to inspect and validate it, I will gladly keep everyone posted on the outcome and inform who did te inspection.

If I were the owner and thought that it might be the real deal the first thing that I would do is call Kevin Marti and ask him to look it over and give his determination as to it's originality. Kevin's opinion will either 1) Prove it a fake or 2) Be inconclusive or 3) Validate it as the real thing. I would not posting anything on the internet or social media about it until Kevin had looked it over. Until the owner gets a conclusive validation of unmolested original VIN features (Dash VIN, Warranty plate & fender VIN) from Kevin everyone will continue to doubt it's authenticity. BTW can you post a pic of the fender VIN?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ahhh come on you guys...you all know better..that first pic IS supposed to be the apron vin...the dash vin would have a black border on a plate....where you'd see...the dash!...not the apron.
Look to the left...it's the cutout of the fender!

·
Registered
48 Posts
If I were the owner and thought that it might be the real deal the first thing that I would do is call Kevin Marti and ask him to look it over and give his determination as to it's originality. Kevin's opinion will either 1) Prove it a fake or 2) Be inconclusive or 3) Validate it as the real thing. I would not posting anything on the internet or social media about it until Kevin had looked it over. Until the owner gets a conclusive validation of unmolested original VIN features (Dash VIN, Warranty plate & fender VIN) from Kevin everyone will continue to doubt it's authenticity. BTW can you post a pic of the fender VIN?
Marti does inspections and validates cars? That is news to me.

41 - 60 of 390 Posts