Vintage Mustang Forums banner

81 - 100 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Screened AND stamped

The 68-70 VIN plates were screened, and stamped.

Since the process of authenticating this car requires extreme attention to detail, we must note that the dash VIN tag IS stamped on that plate (very crisply) and he black BORDER on the plate is screened...
I ask to see it on the car to see if it looks 'vintage'.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'd like to know why if the shock towers were 'welded' (to mimic the movie work)...where are the big block reinforcements?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd like to know why if the shock towers were 'welded' (to mimic the movie work)...where are the big block reinforcements?
It looks like they were chopped off before the welding, but that sure doesn't look like the typical stick welding work that would have been done on a 1960s movie car.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I noticed this too....Was MIG welding as we know it around in 68' ?
Uh...yes. Google is your friend.

Have you not seen mig welds on your Mustang? If not take a look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For those that may not know here is the car Steve McQueen attempted to buy back. I have seen photos of the car and as of mid 2000s the car was in horrible shape. The 3rd owner has passed but the car still has not surfaced. Maybe in 2018 since it is the Bullitt 50th anniversary. How cool would it be to have both surface next year and be brought back together.

Attachments

P

·
0 Posts
The reinforcements did not start in '68 until the CJ cars were being produced. The first CJ car was on sale April 1st . . so it was built in the prior month probably. This excludes the 135 cars which were basically hand built cars and not production, therefore didn't have the production mods as such. So many, if not most, of the '68 390 cars will have the same shock towers the '67 cars and the non-BB cars have.

P

·
0 Posts
Wire fed welding has been around for a long time. . . basically end of 50s start of the 60s , in slightly different forms.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The reinforcements did not start in '68 until the CJ cars were being produced. The first CJ car was on sale April 1st . . so it was built in the prior month probably. This excludes the 135 cars which were basically hand built cars and not production, therefore didn't have the production mods as such. So many, if not most, of the '68 390 cars will have the same shock towers the '67 cars and the non-BB cars have.
Thanks, Pete...that would make sense. The date codes on both movie cars is Jan. 68.
That eliminates this being an issue.
That data tag looks to weathered to be fake...dont you think?
I know many body shops (especially south of the border) that would have just sanded over that tag!

P

·
0 Posts
Thanks, Pete...that would make sense. The date codes on both movie cars is Jan. 68.
That eliminates this being an issue.
That data tag looks to weathered to be fake...dont you think?
I know many body shops (especially south of the border) that would have just sanded over that tag!
From what I have seen here, my gut tells me it's real :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kevin Marti would travel for this I'm sure. I feel he, and he alone, will be the only one with the ability/resources to validate this vehicle. We shall see after tomorrow.....

81 - 100 of 390 Posts