Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my first K code encounter today, I started to wonder if other Mustang lovers have similar stories and memories that made a lasting impression ? I know I will always remember today and the first K code I came across that "wasn't in a car show".
Anyone have a favorite K code story or memory they want to share? I'd love to hear it....

·
Registered
638 Posts
Actually I am living my memory right now. I traded my Shelby Cobra Replica for mine and it is in boxes awaiting reassembly. You can only imagine how many memories I will have by the end of the year as I proceed to paint shortly and begin the arduous task of reassembly. They are a bit rare and certainly have a bit of mystique about them, even if it is somewhat larger than deserved.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
My first K code encounter was in 1967. I was driving by a Ford dealership in Bryan, TX and saw a white 66 fastback sitting on the used car lot so I turned around and took a look at it. It was a 66 GT fastback, white with blue interior. It had a 4speed and when I opened the hood there sat my first k code. The clincher was it also had the Shelby triple deuce setup. The dealership had sold it new and had installed the carb option for the buyer. He had traded it in for a 67 FB GT with a 390 and 4 speed. It was love at first sight. I traded my 64 red GTO for it and drove home a happy man. I kept the car for 2 years and loved it but on a spur of the moment decision I traded it in on a new 68 Charger RT. The RT was fun but quality wise a piece of crap. I sold it in 1970 and bought my wife a 1970 Vega GT. I still have the wife and the Vega but around 1979 I dropped a chevy V8 into it along with a turbo 350. A few years later I had Bill Staley build me an engine for her. It's a stout 337 that dynos at 407 hp at 7300 rpm. I put in a ford 9 inch and 3:89 gears and it hauls. I'd trade the charger and the vega to get that 66 k code back. Did I mention I loved that car?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
The first one I ever saw was the one I bought in southern California. A guy on another forum asked what his was worth because he wanted to sell it. I contacted him first and bought the car. He had the car stored in his parents garage for over 22 years. I drove down to southern California and picked it up about a month later. When I got it home I crawled under the car and checked to see if the vin was on the motor and it was. I was pretty excited. It also had the vin on the transmission. He had over 60 people call and ask to buy the car. One guy offered him over $6,000 more than what I paid, but granted, this was during the high prices on cars. I'm still excited about the car. I go through times where I think I need to sell it, but then come to my senses lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had my first encounter 2 years ago when I imported my '65 K GT Fastback into the UK.
I have enjoyed it very much so far and have been all over it now. It turns out its a factory GT which is amazingly lucky as my knowledge level at that time was limited.

·
Registered
563 Posts
My first K code encounter was in 1967. I was driving by a Ford dealership in Bryan, TX and saw a white 66 fastback sitting on the used car lot so I turned around and took a look at it. It was a 66 GT fastback, white with blue interior. It had a 4speed and when I opened the hood there sat my first k code. The clincher was it also had the Shelby triple deuce setup. The dealership had sold it new and had installed the carb option for the buyer. He had traded it in for a 67 FB GT with a 390 and 4 speed. It was love at first sight. I traded my 64 red GTO for it and drove home a happy man. I kept the car for 2 years and loved it but on a spur of the moment decision I traded it in on a new 68 Charger RT. The RT was fun but quality wise a piece of crap. I sold it in 1970 and bought my wife a 1970 Vega GT. I still have the wife and the Vega but around 1979 I dropped a chevy V8 into it along with a turbo 350. A few years later I had Bill Staley build me an engine for her. It's a stout 337 that dynos at 407 hp at 7300 rpm. I put in a ford 9 inch and 3:89 gears and it hauls. I'd trade the charger and the vega to get that 66 k code back. Did I mention I loved that car?
wow. A 64 GTO, 66 Kcar, and 68 RT, and you kept the Vega. I had a Vega, and no offense, and I hope yours was a good one, but it was the worst car I ever owned.

You know, I guess, how much that 64 GTO and 68 RT is worth these days. For that matter, a 66 Fastback isn't exactly cheap, more so still with a hi po.

As for the topic- My brother in law owned a 65 Comet Cyclone with a 289 hi po and 4 speed when I was about 9 or 10 yrs old. It seemed quick back then. A friend of mine owns a 64 1/2 K code coupe now, and has owned it since the early 80s. Frankly, it's not really all that, nor have the other k cars I've driven since I grew up. But then, I like a hot rod big block, and hi po or no, a 289 just does not compare in muscle.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Way back in 1974 I was helping my (future) brother-in-law find a Mustang to buy for a driver. Among those we looked at was a 66 emberglow coupe in a seedy trailer park. The car was pretty heavily used, and the owner pointed out the K engine. It was also an automatic. The seller would not let us start the car, said something about 'a bad oil leak'. Anyway, we passed on that $400 deal. Before you do a head slap keep in mind that it was beat, seven years old and at the lowest point in market value. Add to that the fact that we were 17 years old and could have never afforded to fix it up. Three years and a better job later I found my K Fastback. Still got it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
wow. A 64 GTO, 66 Kcar, and 68 RT, and you kept the Vega. I had a Vega, and no offense, and I hope yours was a good one, but it was the worst car I ever owned.

You know, I guess, how much that 64 GTO and 68 RT is worth these days. For that matter, a 66 Fastback isn't exactly cheap, more so still with a hi po.

As for the topic- My brother in law owned a 65 Comet Cyclone with a 289 hi po and 4 speed when I was about 9 or 10 yrs old. It seemed quick back then. A friend of mine owns a 64 1/2 K code coupe now, and has owned it since the early 80s. Frankly, it's not really all that, nor have the other k cars I've driven since I grew up. But then, I like a hot rod big block, and hi po or no, a 289 just does not compare in muscle.
I can do you one better than that. I traded a 1962 Plymouth 2 dr coupe with a 413 and 3 speed for the GTO. That plymouth ended up as a SS racecar for a dealership in Dallas. Imagine my suprise when I showed up at the strip and discovered how fast that thing really was when set up properly. I have been privileged to own a slew of really nice muscle cars over the years including a couple of Shelbys. I sold them a few years back when the value went through the roof and now drive a reproduction (clone) of my 1966 Shelby GT350H which I sold in 1991. The only reason I still have the Vega is it has no real value and is a blast to drive in a straight line. As for the hotrod big blocks, my best one was a 1966 Corvette coupe that had been raced by Courtesy Chevrolet in Houston. It was stolen and recovered a year later so the insurance company had already settled out with Courtesy and I bought it direct from the insurance company. They were convinced it was about to blow up because it made so much noise (open exhaust, no mufflers) so I got it cheap. I sold it in 1992 (dumb mistake). That thing was brutally fast.

·
Registered
563 Posts
not trying to hijack the thread, but I've always admired the GTOs. I've owned Ford, Mopar, and Chevy muscle cars (currently own a 67 SS Chevelle), but never owned a GTO, though I sure like them. A 64 would absolutely be cool.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
My oldest brother is 12 years older than me. So he was driving when I was a little kid. He had a '65 K-code 4-speed coupe (my gearhead middle brother is positive it was a k-code). One day my two older brothers were driving home from school and the master cylinder decided to quit working. So in a fit of brilliance, rather than try and use the e-brake and downshift, my brother decided he would try and split between the two lanes of stopped traffic in front of him. He missed the first 2 cars but hit the next set of cars. LOL

He took the car to a body shop to fix the two mangled fenders and the shop ended up going out of business before my brother could get the car back. The shop owner disappeared with the car. :(

·
Registered
208 Posts
My K code encounter started soon after I was born as my Dad brought home a new K code coupe when I was 8 months old. Loved that car from the moment I knew what cars were, especially when Dad opened her up. She's mine now and its my turn as my 4 year tells me to "Make the Noise" as we pull out on the highway.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The first two K codes that I saw and knew were K codes was back in the late 60s. My brother's friend had a light blue 65 or 66 coupe and my cousin had a dark blue 65 or 66 fastback. I think both were 4 speeds.

My friend has a 67 Shelby GT 350 that he races in vintage classes. I think he took the original engine out and is using another engine for racing.

I know where there's a 65 K code fastback 4 speed with 40,??? miles on it. The owner bought it new and it's been sitting in his garage since the early eighties. It's partially dismantled with the engine and transmission out of it and junk sitting on top of it. I couldn't see it very well but he said it had only surface rust on it and as far as I could tell he was right. I tried to buy it from him but he said it's part of the family and it's not for sale.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Back in High School I dated a girl whose father a bunch of cars... several Mustangs including a 68 Shelby GT500KR ( 1 of 1 car Longhorn Orange color ) , 69 Mach 1 R-code and a 67 K-code GT coupe with a Paxton supercharger on it. since I was driving a lowly 68 Mustang Coupe 6cyl Auto Sunlit gold at the time, I was in car heaven. Her dad and I really hit it off. I would wash his cars for him and occassionally he would let me drive em. The Mach 1 would scream ! but the funest car to drive was the 67 K-car with the 4spd and Paxton. Funny, we actually still keep n touch and I know exactly where the car is incase it shoud ever come available. I would sure try to buy it !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts