Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first mechanical breakdown in my Mustang on Saturday. The car started up perfectly and I drove it 1 mile to get gas. It then would not start. It was like it was not getting any gas or spark, just the sound of the engine turning over. I checked the fuel pump and it work fine then the battery died and I had the car towed home. Yesterday afternoon I decided to try to figure out what was wrong. I hooked up the battery charger and it started right up and ran fine, I even restarted it a few times with no problems. I have no idea what caused the problem and am nervous it will happen again. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to diagnose the problem? If it matters I installed a Edelbrock 1406 carb and intake just over a month ago and the car has ran perfectly. TIA

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
This happens to me once in a while--it's usually a loose coil wire--but once I had bad gap at the points and it would be a bear to start and keep running--try the coil first.

J. Boggs

G

·
0 Posts
Could possibly be your starter - Ive had "intermittent starting" happen to me on a few different vehicles. What is the condition of your starter? The starter on you car may have worn brushes, which is an easy fix. Since this component is easily removable I would pull it off and inspect / clean it thoroughly. If you do not feel comfortable with it, replace it. Starters are usually pretty cheap to replace.

Woodman

67 coupe - 302 4V, C4, Versailles 9"

·
Registered
652 Posts
It sounds like the starter is fine - "just the sound of the engine turning over". I'd definitely check for loose
wires to the points, as well as the coil wire. Was the engine cold when you left for the 1 mile ride to get
gas? Do you have a phenolic spacer under the carb? If the engine were hot, you might have developed
a vapor lock in the carb?

Rich
'67 C-code 'vert (Dees67)
'69 GT Project car - For Sale
Milford, NH

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Sound like a charging problem. Check the volts at the battery with the car running. Do you have 13.5-14 volts? You should. You can have your Voltage Regulator and Alt tested at an autoparts store. Make sure your battery terminals are tight and not corroded also..

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Check the fuel filter. My coupe did that for a while. It would run and then just stop. After a while the pressure would push enough gas past the blockage to start again. The rust turns to mud when wet. It is a power when dry.

Plus what could it hurt to check your filter?

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12110688&p=43875040&Sequence=1&res=high.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car was cold when I left and was not fully warmed up by the time I got to the gas station. Also, I have a Petrinix ignition. Can it go bad then work just fine later???

G

·
0 Posts
You've already eliminated the fuel pump and the starter-motor as possible causes for us.

That leaves the ignition and the carburation. You may have an intermittent contact somewhere in the ignition circuitry (boy I hate intermittent failures). If the same thing happens again, unscrew a spark plug, reconnect the HT lead and put it on a conductive part (block, manifold, etc.). Then cranck the engine and check for a spark.

If there is a spark, check the carburation. Is there fuel starvation or flooding?

G

·
0 Posts
This happened to me once. the Choke was flooding out the engine. if it happens again try taking off the airfilter and have a friend watch the carb while you turn her over. It happened once and I left it sitting for 3 hours then it started fine.
When it haoppened to me again I happened to be giving a mechanic a ride to the store ... his wiife had run his car out of gas .. he told me I had to hold open the choke, which I did with with a pencil. :[p
But, what was causing the flooding too was bad points. so I had it both fixed. and carb adjusted. Worked like a charm after.

before i got my new tank too, I would get rust flakes in the fuel filter. I'd pick up a new one, they're pretty cheap.
but the pressure of the fuel would 'hold' the rust up clogging the filter. after it stopped... it would settle and then start ok. Used to drive me nuts.

Lastly, your baterry shouldn't have died that easily, As a precaution id check the belt on the alternator, make sure it's nice and tight.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
No, Bob's just saying that I'm irresistable! hehe I didn't know Bob was like that.... not that that's bad or anything..../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Yes Mango is a fruit, but MANGO isn't!!!

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
With all of your info (engine cold, new carb, started after sitting, etc.), my guess would be on the simple and obvious choice..... FLOODED.
Do some plug readings to see how you're running. And, next time, stab the pedal and hold it down before you deplete your battery.
I'm sure you could have ignition and/or wiring issues, but sometimes a banana is just a banana. Keep it simple.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts