Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
They look like Ansen Sprint Wheels, and yup, you can refinish those yourself no problem. What grit to start with depends on how badly they may be marred/gouged/scratched. There are YouTube videos to watch about the process. Personally I've always worked to 2000 grit wet and then polished. Always happy with the results from that, but there's bound to be members here that can provide more experienced advice.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Please post a close-up of a wheel/tire. There are too many wheels similar to this one to identify the manufacturer. Generally, sanding is not required unless you are trying to remove deeper imperfections. A good polishing with a power buffing wheel will make them look good.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
They are Aluminum. Aluminum wheels will polish to a chrome like finish if done correctly.
First you will need to determine the surface damage. If very ruff, you might need to start with a 240 grit wet/dry paper (Use wet), then to a 320, then 400-600-1000, to 2000 paper.
Yes where to start is the key to a mirror surface.
Once your at 2000 papered, buff with a good grade of polishing compound till you have the luster you deem acceptable.
YES, take time and patience.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
These look like old aluminum slot wheels, made by many different manufacturers. There are many youtube videos on how to refinish them.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Unless they are painted or coated with some other heavy material, why would media blasting be required?

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I wouldn't sand a spot until you tried some Mothers Al polish. Maybe a fine scotchbrite pad with soap first. Stuff is amazing and will eat/cut through layers of tarnish or oxidation or whatever its called on aluminum like no one elses business.
I had one of the PowerBalls that goes on a drill but it disintegrated too soon for my liking. You want wool or cotton wheels IMO and a few of them. Save a clean one for near the very end.
I have a few of these(broke a few as well) gives a better angle than a drill can give.

Wear gloves and don't be stingy with the Mothers stuff.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
They were commonly just called slotted mag wheels and I believe the originals actually were a magnesium alloy and built for drag cars.

Everybody was selling those and they showed up on Hollywood cars often too like the striped tomato;

They over saturated the wheel market so much that they fell out of favor or interest after a period of time because they were too common and got put on everything.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
If the aluminum is gray and rough a fine Scotchbrite with Barkeepers Friend will clean them nicely. Yours already look too good to need that.

Finish the job with Mother's Mag Wheel Polish. That'll bring them up like chrome.

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
I had those type of wheels circa 1969 to 1985. Various sizes, US Indy Mag, etc. Aluminum tends to be much lighter, IMHO, than true magnesium, and the magnesium wheels back then tended to corroded pretty badly. IIRC, and I am old, most of the magnesium wheels I saw were steel and magnesium riveted together, why, I do not know.

L60-15's on the back and A78-13's on the front.

In retrospect, that sizing set up was criminal.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
x 2 on the mothers aluminum polish- there is a small can and a big one- get the big one as you will find all kinds of stuff to polish with it

** Bonus- mothers works well to remove the 'haze" that shows up on new car headlights- just wipe on and wipe off or you can use a small buffer pad

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Those aluminum slot wheels were so popular in the late 60's and early 70's that Ford offered them from the factory.
Those are the wheels that came on my '76 Cobra II, and I liked 'em so much (and they were cheaper than Styled Steel wheels), and found some for my '64.5. But now they're sitting in my garage while I figure out what to do with them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW...Thanks for the response guys!

I think they are aluminum because they are soo light.

Looks like common ground between all post is to use a scotchbrite and polish it up with mothers. I'll report back soon!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts