Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to finalize and think everything out. Pulling the engine next week and need to finalize the rebuild. I'll post another thread about that. Also doing a C4 to T5 swap. Have a few questions:

First American Powertrain or Modern Driveline? Anyone have issues with either? I've talked with MDL but haven't spoken to anyone at American Powertrain yet.

Second, I have a Borgeson steering box. Getting the Roller Z bar and clutch rods from Opentracker. My question is with heads and headers/mainfolds. If we assume I'm gong with aftermarket aluminum heads (AFR 165), I have three options for exhaust manifolds. Use my original logs, get hipo ones, or headers, but what will fit? If you port match the stock stuff will that suffice or will the headers make a huge difference. Going with a Waldron's Arvinode exhaust, So I assume it will be bolt on if I'm using my stock manifolds or HIPO. But no sense spending all this money on engine rebuild, new transmission, New rear gears, just to save a few bucks on the manifolds.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Modern Driveline gets my vote! First class company and outstanding customer service. When I did my T5Z conversion, I left it in their hands and trusted them to supply everything I would need. I didn't have to buy a single additional item!

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
I "ditto" rHutt"s comments. I performed my C4 to T5z in 2010. I choose MDL for 100% of the parts, except for the pedal box, the manual 5 bolt Bell. All was perfect, at the time, and still is today. BTW, I'm running a HD "Z" bar clutch actuating system with a Tri-Y header system.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I "ditto" rHutt"s comments. I performed my C4 to T5z in 2010. I choose MDL for 100% of the parts, except for the pedal box, the manual 5 bolt Bell. All was perfect, at the time, and still is today. BTW, I'm running a HD "Z" bar clutch actuating system with a Tri-Y header system.
Thanks! That makes me feel better.

Modern Driveline gets my vote! First class company and outstanding customer service. When I did my T5Z conversion, I left it in their hands and trusted them to supply everything I would need. I didn't have to buy a single additional item!
I did have a good feeling talking to them, I just saw an episode of Engine Power and they were talking up American Powertrain, so I thought I'd asked. I'm sure American Powertrain paid something for advertising rights!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Trying to finalize and think everything out. Pulling the engine next week and need to finalize the rebuild. I'll post another thread about that. Also doing a C4 to T5 swap. Have a few questions:

First American Powertrain or Modern Driveline? Anyone have issues with either? I've talked with MDL but haven't spoken to anyone at American Powertrain yet.

Second, I have a Borgeson steering box. Getting the Roller Z bar and clutch rods from Opentracker. My question is with heads and headers/mainfolds. If we assume I'm gong with aftermarket aluminum heads (AFR 165), I have three options for exhaust manifolds. Use my original logs, get hipo ones, or headers, but what will fit? If you port match the stock stuff will that suffice or will the headers make a huge difference. Going with a Waldron's Arvinode exhaust, So I assume it will be bolt on if I'm using my stock manifolds or HIPO. But no sense spending all this money on engine rebuild, new transmission, New rear gears, just to save a few bucks on the manifolds.
If I was going to use the stock manifolds or even the hipo manifolds I wouldn't waste money on AFR heads as you will be choking them. What are your goals from this swap? If you want to keep the stockish type exhaust you might be money ahead just freshening your stock heads or finding a set of Gt 40P heads off of an explorer.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Another happy MDL customer. I did a full TKO600 swap in my 66. Their instructions were great and when i jacked up my hydraulic lines, the customer service was great.

If you're spending the money on AFR's there is 0 point in running manifolds as you'll be choking them negating a large majority of the benefit. For headers, I used AccuFab. The fit was great and I was doing a 351w swap. If you call them up, tell them what your setup is, they should be able to make you a set that will be snug as a bug in a rug and deliver great performance at that.
PS...installing headers is a bit of a pain if you're doing it by yourself so get a helper.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. My original plan was to put a hotter cam in, refresh the heads and port match everything with HIPO manifolds with an Arvinode exhaust, and send my distributor out. Kind of like the stock look. With a T5 behind that and 3.40 gears, I should have a nice fun convertible, correct?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I think you would have a great driver as long as you don't go over the top on the cam! "Hotter" is a relative term.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you would have a great driver as long as you don't go over the top on the cam! "Hotter" is a relative term.
Right. Spoke with someone at Howard's cams who had a nice mild HIPO "like" cam.

·
Registered
33,850 Posts
Well, my vote would be for port-matched and lightly massaged reproduction HiPo manifolds and a 2-1/4" H-pipe. Option #2 would be extrude-honing of the cast manifolds to improve airflow (see https://www.extrudehoneafm.com/service-locations/boston-ma/extrude-hone-in-boston-ma/). With the 165's exhaust runner volume I can't see a set of HiPo's being that much worse than some shorty/mid-lengths with probably the best header for those on a mild build being a set of Tri-Y's... and quality on those runs the gamut from actually engineered on a flow bench to a bunch of 1-1/2" tubing bent and welded together to look "cool".

Here's a good example (photo) of before and after extrude honing....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts