Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving the mach home the other day and heard a large "backfire"....strange the car didn't hesitate or anything... anyways i drive the rest of the way home about 15 miles,pop the hood and my battery is in about 12 peices....... i found the prob... i put in a new battery and a meter on the volt reg,..... it was putting 17.4 into the battery. sheesh...... it made a real mess under the hood anything i need to do or put on the metel before i repaint around to shock tower and battery tray?..... thanks jace

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Just rinse with some water. Water will eventually neturalize any acid that remains. If you're really worred or want to use less water add some baking soda to the mix.

Oh, and don't forget to keep the water away from your distributor, and by all means replace that VR!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
There is a product that is in a spray can that will neutralize battery acid. It turns a different color when it does so you can make sure you got it all. Any parts place should have it.

Also, you can use Coke, and it eats rust too! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Coke actually does not do all the stuff its believed to do. Check out snopes2.com for urban legend stuff.

baking soda mixed in water and then lots of it. wont hurt paint and is safe if it gets down in the joints of the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts