Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine bay parts? Specifically areas where oil, grease, and grime is concerned. I have pulley and brackets that need to be cleaned and am unable to get everything off.

What works for you? I've tried Castrol products, sos soap pads, and dish soap.

Thanks for the input and hope others can learn from this as well.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Danno, I spray straight, undiluted Simple Green throughout the engine bay, then pressure wash it off. Works great and it's quick and easy. Only problem is if your engine or bay paint is a bit old and flaking, the pressure washer might peel some of it off. 'course, quick touch-up with rattle cans of the appropriate colors fixes that.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
'course, quick touch-up with rattle cans of the appropriate colors fixes that.
It sure does. ;) ::

http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL174/2016453/3903966/56826785.jpg

Before

After ;)

(Since that picture was taken, I painted the top of the radiator, organized the spark plug wires, and added a 2bbl carburetor. ::

·
Administrator
19,528 Posts
Simple Green, **** & Span, Kleenol, and a degreaser that I purchase at the local auto paint store.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Oven cleaner will take off grease very easily and quickly with just a garden hose. It will also take off paint, so if you use it, be careful.

Doug Boyd

·
Registered
201 Posts
I used Castrol Super Clean (wear gloves, this stuff is harsh) to get the major stuff off and carburetor cleaner for pinpoint cleaning. Bought the cheap carb cleaner at wal-mart for 78 cents a can.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm another fan of the simple green and it's always cleaned whatever greasy mess I need cleaned. It's easy on the paint as well. In fact, I spray it all over the bike like you would soap and hose it off and it's never discoloured or faded the paint.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
If you can scrape off the oil and grease, the dishwasher is a great help. Just make sure SWMBO is away.
I have used my mothers oven to dry wet Mustang parts. I washed off the upper and lower valve body and put them in the oven to dry them quicker so I could put it back together that night. My mother came downstairs and saw the oven was on. "What are you baking?" she asks. "Mustang parts." I reply. ::

1 - 14 of 14 Posts