Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
install these wheels on say... a '66 Mustang?

I've read where you guys are talking about spacers and such to overcome BS issues, but I've never used a wheel spacer before and never thought I would so I haven't really been paying that much attention....

Although I'm not thrilled with the 17" wheels on the 65-66, deals like this seem too good to pass up.... (the link is provided as an example, there are actually better deals than this on new take-offs).

Thanks,
Dave

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Approx $200 or so for bolt on adapters. Just measure the backspacing on the late model wheel, subtract 4.75 (assuming it is an 8 inch wheel) and then order an adapter in that size.
45 offset is like 6.25 backspacing so 1.5 inch adapter for those wheels and then add some new tires because the 55 series is too tall

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Backspacing should be 5.95" on those, so a 1.25" spacer gives 4.70". Don't be fooled, the 05+ bullets look hott on an early mustang, a lot better than I'd have thought. If you do it, post pics. ;)

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you tire/wheel fitment god! I looked at your tire wheel fitment chart for hours. I actually printed it at the office and have been dwelling over it...

Buying wheels for this '66 is somehow eluding me...

I want 15x7 TTD's w/3.75 BS for the front and 15x8 w/4.5 on the rear....

Or maybe 15x8 w/4.5BS all the way around. I don't want to have to special order the wheels though...

Decisions decisions....

Thanks again! and any advice is greatly welcomed!

Dave

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have pics of '06 17" bullits on mine and my buddy's 65 and 66. How do I post pics?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Granted, the front end is resting on collapsed springs. I want to say we used a 1.25" spacer. i am in the process of finding out for sure right now, as I need to buy 2 more.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, the pictures look good. What size tires are you running on those wheels and what about spacers?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
285 Posts
6d6coupe said:
I want to say we used a 1.25" spacer.
Those are 235/45/17 up front, and 245/45/17 in back.

I WILL CAUTION YOU, we have not driven them yet. My project is about 50% done. This is just for visual representation. We turn the wheels lock to lock. Like i said, the front coils are junkers and missing coils. They might as well not be there.... We have tested as much as we can without a road test.

G

·
Dave,

I have 05 and up bullits on my 66 as well. The stock tire size that they come with which is 235-45-17 IIRC fit on the rear but not the front. I used 1.5 inch spacers and the wheels fit fine. I bought the spacers off of ebay for around 125 shipped for all four.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
There's quite a few places who carry a kit with the correct spacers and wheel studs. Just search around. Here's a link....

Wheel Spacer Kit

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I'm not an expert on this, but I've heard that using lug adapters is safter/better than using a regular spacer with longer studs...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have been running 05' Bullitts (not 04' the backspacing and the wheel itself is a bit different on the pre-05' wheels) for about a year or so now on my 65 FB. I'm running 1-1/2" adapters/spacers on the front and 1-1/4 on the back, with 225 50 17 Kuhmo's on all 4. Other than that they fit well, with little problems. They're the best looking factory wheels you can put on a 65-66 mustang, but you gotta get the stance on the car right or they look too big. My car is dropped 1" in the front and 1-1/4" in the back. I get tons of compliments on them, they really make the car.
Check out the pics on my site if you wanna see how they look on a 65.
http://johnsmustang.blogspot.com

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They look real nice!

Thanks for the spacer specs and wheel sizes. This is the kind of info that I needed. Hard numbers I can relate to...

Hearing that I'll need spacers and different tires is great and all, but the specifics are more beneficial.

After way too much deliberation, I took the plunge last night and bought a new set of '07 take-offs. They should be here in a week or so and due to the MII front suspension and other variables, I want to get an exact measurement before I buy any spacers/tires. I'm thinking that I should be able to fit a 255 series tire in the rear, we'll see.

Dave

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Post some pics when you get the chance. I think these style rims look great on these cars. I'm getting ready to put a set on my 70, but they are going to be the 99-04's.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks Dave,
I was really pleased with how they turned out. You can't beat them for the price either! You'll love em' and get ALOT of compliments.
Everywhere I go people are always asking about them. Get ready for lots of questions. A great upgrade!
John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts